Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old High School Records

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re:

    Originally posted by Mighty Favog
    Our city championship lists the meet record as 10.3. While the timing was not suspect (he went on to be a MAC champion at EMU), the wind was probably +9.0 or greater (20 mph). Then there's the 1600m record, which is slower than the best time made at 1 mile. You know you're not working with the brightest of people when their eyes begin to glaze over while you explain that a mile is actually further than 1600 meters, so the old record should stand, and they come back with "But it's not 1600 meters". Arrrgh!
    I hear you. At my HS a few years after I graduated, they switched to the 1600. Basically they did away with all yard marks. So even though the records from 440 on up were wiped away and to this day I believe there are inferior marks as "school records" Arrrgh indeed!!!

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Re:

      Originally posted by Gebrucilassie
      Originally posted by Mighty Favog
      Our city championship lists the meet record as 10.3. While the timing was not suspect (he went on to be a MAC champion at EMU), the wind was probably +9.0 or greater (20 mph). Then there's the 1600m record, which is slower than the best time made at 1 mile. You know you're not working with the brightest of people when their eyes begin to glaze over while you explain that a mile is actually further than 1600 meters, so the old record should stand, and they come back with "But it's not 1600 meters". Arrrgh!
      I hear you. At my HS a few years after I graduated, they switched to the 1600. Basically they did away with all yard marks. So even though the records from 440 on up were wiped away and to this day I believe there are inferior marks as "school records" Arrrgh indeed!!!
      They didn't convert the mile times to meters or vice versa? My school's 4:13.4 mile is an actual mile. So for a current runner to break the "mile" record in the 1,600m they'd have run 4:11.9 or lower.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Re:

        Originally posted by 4:24-miler
        They didn't convert the mile times to meters or vice versa? My school's 4:13.4 mile is an actual mile. So for a current runner to break the "mile" record in the 1,600m they'd have run 4:11.9 or lower.
        Convert? Most coaches and ADs still don't understand that a mile is actually farther than 1600 meters.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Old High School Records

          Our neighborhood high school merged into the adjacent neighborhood's high school. We had had outstanding track teams with some all-class state records and some times still in the top ten all-time in the state. They dropped our records. Cool, huh?

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Re:

            [quote=Conor Dary]
            Originally posted by "4:24-miler":2tzr1huf
            They didn't convert the mile times to meters or vice versa? My school's 4:13.4 mile is an actual mile. So for a current runner to break the "mile" record in the 1,600m they'd have run 4:11.9 or lower.
            Convert? Most coaches and ADs still don't understand that a mile is actually farther than 1600 meters.[/quote:2tzr1huf]
            LoL! :lol:

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Re:

              [quote=4:24-miler]
              Originally posted by Gebrucilassie
              Originally posted by "Mighty Favog":3ji3j2wd
              Our city championship lists the meet record as 10.3. While the timing was not suspect (he went on to be a MAC champion at EMU), the wind was probably +9.0 or greater (20 mph). Then there's the 1600m record, which is slower than the best time made at 1 mile. You know you're not working with the brightest of people when their eyes begin to glaze over while you explain that a mile is actually further than 1600 meters, so the old record should stand, and they come back with "But it's not 1600 meters". Arrrgh!
              I hear you. At my HS a few years after I graduated, they switched to the 1600. Basically they did away with all yard marks. So even though the records from 440 on up were wiped away and to this day I believe there are inferior marks as "school records" Arrrgh indeed!!!
              They didn't convert the mile times to meters or vice versa? My school's 4:13.4 mile is an actual mile. So for a current runner to break the "mile" record in the 1,600m they'd have run 4:11.9 or lower.[/quote:3ji3j2wd]

              No they didn't convert. I believe the new coach wanted to crow that his runners were all the record holders. I believe one of "his" guys ran a mid 4:25 1600 in the mid 80's yet our mile record was 4:17 from 1971!! Not even close!!! At least he couldn't screw the field event record holders :wink:

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Old High School Records

                That's one dumb-ass coach! The more tradition and meaning you build into the program the better, IMHO... that includes ancient history in the record books.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Re:

                  Originally posted by Gebrucilassie
                  No they didn't convert. I believe the new coach wanted to crow that his runners were all the record holders. I believe one of "his" guys ran a mid 4:25 1600 in the mid 80's yet our mile record was 4:17 from 1971!! Not even close!!! At least he couldn't screw the field event record holders :wink:
                  That is just asinine. :roll:

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X