Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peter Snell

Allow me to repeat my trivia question, cuz it's a good one, dang it! Ryun wasn't the first prep to beat Snell that year. Who was?

I'll give you a hint: Ryun was only the THIRD one to do it!

Comment

Was it in Vancouver that June?

Comment

It looks like that is the answer. On page 214 of his autobiography, Snell mentions (in relation to the Vancouver mile shortly before the San Diego race) that..."Lap four was terrible. Two juniors passed me with about 220 yards to run and I floundered on and was booed all the way up the straight. I finished dead last in 4:15, completely unable to run with either rhythm or speed." Doesn't give their names, however.

Interestingly, he does mention on the previous page that he had intended to make "a big effort against Jazy's time in San Diego."

Comment

By the way, in that Vancouver mile Jim Grelle set a new US record of 3:55.4.

Comment

So who were the two "juniors"?

Hint: they became college teammates.

Comment

I have to say that the July 1965 T&FN is no help in answering that question! It doesn't have full results... Not sure where the heck else to look...

Comment

A wild guess: Carl Trentadue, Bruce Bowman

Comment

If not the Trojans--Trentadue and Bowman--a second, and probably better guess would be:

Roscoe Devine and Gary Lineburg, Ducks.

Comment

Roscoe Divine is the second prep to beat Peter Snell.

Hint: the Kingston Trio knew the other guy's brother.

Comment

This has been an interesting thread. I'm curious about Snell's current training. Maybe one of you who is in contact could give some of us... ummm...senior runners a rough idea about what he does now in his training. I know that he'd received a PhD in exercise physiology at UC Davis, but is he now also a physician--- I'd heard something on the radio while driving to work one day that suggested he might be an D as well as PhD.
                      He was a tremendous champion who virtually always won the biggest competitions. I was at Modesto when he defeated Jim Beatty, and I spent my time in the athlete's warm-up area. The Igloi-coached runners were out warming up for a long time, and looked tired; Bob Seaman told me that Igloi had put them through some brutal workouts all week. Finally, Snell arrived, and his stride looked springy and relaxed. I watched the race from the last turn, and Snell had unbelievable acceleration about 200m from the finish.
                      Almost 10 years ago, I talked to Snell briefly at the banquet honoring Roger Bannister on the 49th anniversary of the first sub-4 min. mile, and said that I'd been very impressed watching him win that mile race in Modesto so decisively, and he commented that that was one race that he'd particularly wanted to win, because he'd felt that Beatty had made some comments that seemed cocky.

Comment

>Almost 10 years ago, I talked to Snell briefly at the banquet honoring Roger Bannister on the 49th anniversary of the first sub-4 min. mile<

I assume you meant the 40th anniversary. The 49th anniversary occurred this year.

Comment

Yes-- the 40th!

Comment

I was fortunate enough to attend a Lydiard Camp for three summers in the mid 1980s. Lydiard would go out with us on a morning run. After breakfast he would lecture,fully explaining his program. Later in the afternoon we would do drills. He was a tremendous lecturer. He held everyone's interest. His program is much misunderstood. He believed that all runners from the 800 and above needed a long period of base training. But he didn't believe in junk mileage. He said he came about his program by experimenting on himself. When something worked he went to the physiologists who explained what he was doing. He put great emphasis on form running. He looked to Bud Winter, the great sprint coach, for many of his ideas. His hill running phase was just running up hills. Various bounds and jumps were used to strengthen the legs. He believed that anyone could sharpen up their speed to a peak in 6 weeks. He explained how his program could be adapted to high school and college runners in the U.S., who ran competively 2 or even 3 seasons in a school year. He was incredibly inspiring, and down to earth. At the time I was in my 30s. He gave me personalized workouts which enabled me to improve. He also gave me a plan to run my first marathon. I stuck to it and ran faster than anticipated. He did not believe in weight training. He said runners should look like "plucked chickens" on top. The power was in the legs. I argued with him on this point. I felt that perhaps your average American was weaker than New Zealanders and therefore needed extra work. However, he wasn't convinced at all. He had a system and I have had good success using it to coach high school runners. My kids don't dominate, but they improve throughout high school and are respected in our area.

Comment

Back to GH's question. Would it be Damien Koch?

Comment

Speaking of Snell, does anyone know where to get a copy of his book, No bugles, No drums??
                                It's extremely rare, and I can't find a copy anywhere...thanks
                                -steve magness

Comment

Working...
                                X