Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which record will fall first (if either)?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which record will fall first (if either)?

Koch's 47.6 or Kratochvilova's 1:53.28?

Re: Which record will fall first (if either)?

>Koch's 47.6 or Kratochvilova's 1:53.28?

800 goes first in about 7 or 8 years, the 400 maybe not for 15 or more.

Comment

20+ years unless the new TGH works better

Comment

Yes, I know, it's THG. Slight dyslexia moment.

Comment

THG = Texas Growth Hormone, as in "bigger than . . ."

oh, never mind

Comment

Heck, when will the 8:06 3000 "record" fall? To state the obvious, the problem with the women's records is that most of them are ridiculous, unbeliebvable, nutty, unreal--choose whatever word you like. And, as such, they seriously distort our appreciation for actual (or, if you like, "actual") performances. What does a "mere" 10.80 or 10.90 100 mean compared to 10.49? Or a 3:56 or 3:57 1500 compared to 3:50.46?

Comment

Yeah, by my math the average "age" of Women's WR's for the standard track meet running events is 13 years. On the men's side, the oldest record is Young's 400h in Barcelona, 11 years ago. Are those women's records out of reach?

Comment

>Yeah, by my math the average "age" of Women's WR's for the standard track
                >meet running events is 13 years. On the men's side, the oldest record is
                >Young's 400h in Barcelona, 11 years ago. Are those women's records out of
                >reach?

Sánchez may get awfully close in the next few seasons to running sub47.

And that 8:06 3000m is absolutely ridiculous. How many women in the world run 4:03 right now?

But the one that will have to outlast them all will be 19.32. I think it will beat Beamon's WR's lifespan.

Comment

I'd be the last person to question any athlete in regard to 'cheating', so I won't here. But.. does anyone know, for absolutely sure, that the Beijing and Shanghai tracks were 400m? I heard they were remeasured and certified. So, I also wonder: China has a different calendar, right? So could they maybe have different timing?, i.e., slower-ticking stopwatches?... well, just wondering

Comment

Great point. As stupid as it sounds, I'll bet the track was about 15 meters short per lap. That (and to a logical mind, ONLY that) would explain the explosion of fast times in '93. Obviously the IAAF DID ratify these marks, but was the track actually remeasured? Was any IAAF official actually there, or is there videotape of these performances?

For those who may not remember, this is what we're talking about. On 9/12/93, the standing women's 3000 WR was 8:22.62 (from 1984), a mark that had not been seriously threatened for 9 years. At the China National Games in Beijing we were told the following happened:

9/12:
                    Heat 1: 1. Z. Linli 8:22.06; 2. Z. Lirong 8:22.44; etc.
                    Heat 2: 1. W. Junxia 8:12.27; 2. Q. Yunxia 8:12.27; 3. M. Liyan 8:19.78; etc.

9/13: (final): 1. W. Junxia 8:06.11; 2. Q. Yunxia 8:12.18; 3. Z. Linli 8:16.50; 4. M. Liyan 8:21.26; 5. Z. Lirong 8:21.84; etc.

Thus, in the span of 22 hours, the former WR was beaten a total of 10 times! This was NOT a weak record and, to put it mildly, history offers NO other case that even comes close to this wholesale butchering of a record. The men's record at the time was Kiptanui's 7:28.96. Would we have believed an equivalent two-day team performance that yielded a new WR of 7:13, and 10 men under 7:28? NO.

Comment

I think that the womens 400 record will go out and I have a pretty good about how will break in the future but I'm not saying.

Comment

I think using the word 'women' and these Chinese records in the same sentence is always a sure way to get a laugh. What drug could any female take to run 8:06?

Comment

>Great point. As stupid as it sounds, I'll bet the track was about 15 meters
                          >short per lap. That (and to a logical mind, ONLY that) would explain the
                          >explosion of fast times in '93.

There have been many claims of this sort over the years, but I don't think they make much sense at all... Do you think the National Games of 1993 were the only track meet ever held in that stadium ? If not, why didn't any of the other meets produce comparable results ? Are you saying the 1997 National Games track was just as short ? (it produced comparable performances in women's distance races)
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

At the risk of exposing myself as a complete idiot, I simply ask: WHO MEASURED THE TRACK? We all take it for granted that it was measured, but should we? The only other "logical" answer (re: above) is that they weren't women. Ouch.

Comment

The 47.6 or the 1.53.2?
                              I think the C.W. is that the 800 will go first but I am not so sure. I don't think Mutola will do it now and who else is really out there?
                              But what happens if Guevara next year runs in the low 48s, say a 48.2. It is still 6/10s off but it does not look so outrageous any more. I would like to see Marion getting serious about the 400 and then who knows, but she is starting to run out of time a bit. I think that within 5 years both these records are gone. Hopefully by then the I.A.A.F will also have removed Flo-Jo's 10.49 from the books. Maybe they hoped that Marion would do it for them but they must surely see by now that that will not happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X