Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympians turned politicians.

If we're not going to confine ouselves to Olympians, Gordon Allott, a senator from Utah some time ago, won the the 400 yard hurdles at the 1929 AAU meet. And didn't one of the McWhirter twins (sprinters as well as compilers of the Guinness Book of Records) serve in Parliament? Labour, I think.

Comment

I'm sure Cuban Minister of Sport Alberto Juantorena is no right-winger.

Comment

Jim Ryun wins another election for for the US House of Reps. from the State of Kansas. Some good Ryun running videos on his website ryunrunning.com

Comment

Paul Robeson of Rutgers,RFK confidant

I hope that most posters recognize Robeson as one of world's great opera singers, not to mention a "black power" leader decades before the term had been coined, so proud that he joined the Communists in protest of US racism (but was then sadly misused by the Soviets).

Comment

and on the distaff side..5 time olympian, willye white...chicago politician now

Comment

>I'm sure Cuban Minister of Sport Alberto Juantorena is no right-winger.

This is so weird and scary. I originally posted "...Juantoreno was no slouch" and someone edited my post to read "no right-winger". How can that happen? As far as I know nobody knows my password.

Comment

>>This is so weird and scary. I originally posted
                >"...Juantoreno was no slouch" and someone edited my post to read "no
                >right-winger". How can that happen? As far as I know nobody knows my
                >password.

If you had have said "no one knows my password" then you could have edited it yourself and no one would have known.

Comment

Menzies Campbell Liberal Democrat UK

Comment

December 2, 2003 "Bill Crothers re-elected chair at the inaugural board meeting" of the York Region Board of Education.

Comment

We must not have any Aussies on the board: turns out that John Landy is the governor of the state of Victoria.

Comment

and Ron Clarke is Mayor of the Gold Coast,

Nova Peris was toying with the idea of politics at one stage.

wasnt Jeffery Archer a GB representative in the 100yds?

Comment

>Lasse Viren, MP Finland, Conservative
                          Sebastion Coe, MP England,
                          >Conservative
                          Jim Ryun, Representative USA, Republican

>So far, no liberals.

Actually, although I confess I don't know a thing about Viren's politics, I wouldn't go too far out on a limb by saying "no liberals." If the Finns are anything like their other Scandinavian brethren, "conservative" doesn't necessarily carry the same connotations as here in America. I have a friend who lives in Oslo, and her descriptions of "conservatives" in Norway sound like American moderate Democrats.
                          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Bruce Jenner was in a movie with the Village People. That was a pretty liberal politcal thing to do at the time

(I didn't see "Can't Stop the Music" on any of the 500+ iPod lists)

Comment

Willy Gault isn't one but he guards one on T.V.:-)
                              Tom Hyland:
                              "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Liese Prokop, star pentathlete ('67 WUG gold, '68 OG silver, '69 EC gold and WR holder) has just been named Minister of the Interior in the Austrian federal cabinet, making her one of the country's most important politicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X