Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet sprint training?

Can anyone confirm something I read in an "SI" article about Maryland U.'s undefeated football team circa 1976? The article said Coach Jerry Claiborne had the players run downhill roads in sprints, based on a drill Soviet sprinters employed to (the article said make them run faster)increase stride frequency. Supposedly this helped the athletes when they returned to flat surfaces. I hesitate to ask it, as it's either probably common knowledge in T & F, which may make some list members judge my lack of knowledge- or it's bunk, which will have the same effect.

On a related note- any retrospective thoughts/comments on Valery Borzov and the advantage he claimed from sprinting from an upright start?

Bijan

Re: Soviet sprint training?

This is validity in forcing increased turnover, up to a point, and that point isn't far beyond normal. That is the principal in the old practice of towing people behind a car until liablity come into the picture (good thing). There are also elastic trainers that force you into an initial 'too fast' configuraion. They seem less useful.

Borzov had a broken hand, as I recall, and started in a three point stance, but it gave him no advantage. The only unorthodox start I've ever seen that worked was Ben Johnson's 'pop-up-and-run' when his legs were so pumped up on steroids he could do it.

Comment

he still starts that way, always had always will his jump from the blocks had nothing to do with steroids.

Comment

I seem to recall that in his earlier races he did NOT have that abrupt two-footed leap into the air. He did get upright faster than anyone else, but I believe that the Seoul race was the first time I saw him go fully airborne in the first step. I could be wrong, but I do remember that in the post-race analysis, the commentators were astounded at the leg strength required for him to pop up running as he did in that race.

Comment

I'm no expert in this field, but Borzov was pioneering in his use of weight training...I recall reading of his use of reverse hyperextensions for his hammies and glutes, along with other more traditional lifts such as squats...

Comment

Went to Krasnodar in the USSR in about 1991/2 to train with their Jumps team. They had one of the long jump approaches downhill by about 5% and they used it

Comment

with some results that come out of the USSR I bet they used that runway for comp as well!!

olegi2 are you from OZ??

Comment

Working...
              X