Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 California State Track Finals/CIF Southern Section

The CIF has apparently lost the 1965 State Track and Field Finals along with the 1965 CIF Southern Section Finals and the 1964 CIF Southern Section "C" Finals. I would love to get a copy of the low hurdle (180 yeard lows varsity in 1965 and 120 yard lows "C" in 1964. Happy to pay a premium for them. Thanks.

Don Hurzeler

Re: 1965 California State Track Finals/CIF Southern Section

know I've had em - but not sure if I still have em ... I'll do some checkin around, we're remodeling -- sooo. - didn't you run in one or both?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the glimmer of hope. Hope you can find them.

I came in fourth in the 180 lows at 18.7 in the 1965 state, third in CIF and was in a blanket finish (at least that's the way I recall it) in the 120 "c" lows in the 1964 CIF finals...finishing out of the medals. Would really love to see that finish, as I always thought I placed.

Thanks for giving a look.

All the best,

Don Hurzeler

Comment

havn't found the 'box' with old stuff in it yet. i'm a distance guy ('68) but I remember caminiti and 'earl' was/is one of my all time favorites. went frosh yr ('65) to crespi. CIF So cal champs were best meets I ever went to.

Have older bros who grad in 64 and 65 - distance guys (one PV + distance - go figure, but not too bad 12'10" and sub 2:00 half 4:2x mile) ... I'm lookin .. but our family has stuff spread out' in 5-6 places

thought I recognized your name

Comment

Sounds like a meet that would have featured Jerry Proctor and Earl McCullough.

Comment

Have you tried Coach O'Rourke or perhaps his successor, Terry Williams? Maybe a former team mate like Howard Becker? (he's still in the area).

G.Ahearn

Comment

Sounds like a meet that would have featured Jerry Proctor and Earl McCullough.
              How about O.J. SImpson?

Comment

99% sure that Proctor was a yr or 2 later (I did see him jump that near 26' @ Chaffey JC as I recall, in a CIF semi mt - standing right at the pit). The yr that Don Hurzeler is referring to was when Earl the Pearl and Steve Caminiti set natl records in both highs and lows with Don Castronova doing likewise in lows -- in FLA. 13.7/18.1. That CIF champs meet was the big showdown as Caminiti and Mc had not gone up against each other. McCollough used to wear those nearly knee high white socks. The meet was at night and the visual on that was - impressive.

The varsity races in So Cal frequently resulted in HS natl leaders and sometimes ntl records. Add the 'B' and 'C' races - any yr - was, I thought, adrenaline heaven. Almost nothing like a relay race or 220 on the curve ... at night. And I'm a distance guy! actually a T&F guy.

I'm not gettin anywhere in my 'search' - I bet Jack Shepard would have some idea. I also know a hurdler from a yr or 2 or 3 or 4 later - that place 2nd in both hi/lo @ CIF and State. I'll see if he might know something.

Comment

Thanks for continuing to look. I very much appreciate it.

The Caminiti/McCollough duel was 1964. I was in the finals that year but as a B or C. I got to watch them warm up and knew during the warm up that Earl had the race won. Two great hurdlers.

The summer of 1967 or 1968 I teamed up with Steve Caminiti, Dean Smith (then 40 years old and still a sub 10 flat hundred guy) and a UK Olympian to run the 4x110 relay at the Pierce JC All Comers meets. We were never beaten. I led off and prayed I would get the baton to Steve. He accelerated like a rocket. Lots of fun.

The 1965 year I'm looking for was won at state and CIF by Manuel Murrell. Manuel was scary fast and a whole level better than the rest of us.

Lots of good memories.

Comment

And where did Manny Murrell end up going to college?

Comment

The Caminiti/McCollough duel was 1964. I was in the finals that year but as a B or C. I got to watch them warm up and knew during the warm up that Earl had the race won. Two great hurdlers.

... Great meet - as were they all (CIF champs). Like your take - the buzz in the stands was that Earl would dominate - which he did. I always thought (and still do) that the eyes tell the story - before and during race. I saw Caminiti's eyes in the days before - I knew then. And I was a youngin then. Older bro grad in 64 @ Crespi with Cam. Another in 65.

The summer of 1967 or 1968 I teamed up with Steve Caminiti, Dean Smith (then 40 years old and still a sub 10 flat hundred guy) and a UK Olympian to run the 4x110 relay at the Pierce JC All Comers meets. We were never beaten. I led off and prayed I would get the baton to Steve. He accelerated like a rocket. Lots of fun.

My bros (older and younger) 'lived' at Pierce JC meets from about 63 til 73. We lived only about a mile or so away. I doubt I missed more than a handful in that span. Ran many a race there on that old dirt track. Great memories there for us. Lotta fast times and marks (PV) came outta those meets. Almost always several big names showed up. I was particularly enthralled with "Igloi's boys". The USC (Seagren/Wilson) along with the other world class So Cal vaulters would often show up. Vaulters along with others would put on quite a show. World class stuff at times. Bob Schul set WR in 2 mile I think and ran his first sub4 ...

The 1965 year I'm looking for was won at state and CIF by Manuel Murrell. Manuel was scary fast and a whole level better than the rest of us.

As I recall Murrell was a skinny guy? unlike McC who was muscular. ... then there were all those Muir guys - Centennial too. there were plenty elsewhere too. Ur sr yr - Busby? Jenkins? okay - enuff

Lots of good memories. ----

could go on but - still checkin things out for ya - but looks like my 'contacts' will have to have somethin

Comment

Some partial results....

1964 CIF
                        Los Angeles Coliseum
                        Friday-Saturday, June 5-6

180y Low Hurdles
                        (Earl McCullouch of Long Beach Poly was the top returner with a 3rd in 1963. He & Steve Caminiti of Crespi had both run 18.1 earlier to set the National record)
                        1. 18.4 Earl McCullough, Long Beach Poly
                        2. 18.5 Charley Smith, Oakland Castlemont
                        3. ? Steve Caminiti, Crespi
                        4. 18.9 Curtis Clark, Sacramento Grant

1965 CIF
                        Memorial Stadium, Bakersfield
                        Friday-Saturday, June 4-5

180y Low Hurdles
                        (Curtis Clark of Sacramento Grant was the top returner)
                        1. 18.2w Manuel Murrell, Long Beach Poly
                        2. 18.4w Curtis Clark, Sacramento Grant
                        3. 18.5w Jim Lockard, San Lorenzo Arroyo
                        4. 18.7w Don Hurzeler, Palos Verdes Estates Palos Verdes

Comment

[TRIVIA questions follow:] Dan Hurzeler wrote: “The CIF has apparently lost the 1965 State Track and Field Finals along with the 1965 CIF Southern Section Finals and the 1964 CIF Southern Section "C" Finals. I would love to get a copy…”

Bruce McIntosh, Rick Obrand and Bill Peck write in their handbook, “High School Sports History California Track and Field,” 1996 supplement, that the “official state records” of the Calif State meet were destroyed in a fire. They don't say when the fire occurred.

They show the following additional info to that provided by Bridge13 in his post on the identity of the top finishers in the 1964 and 1965 California State meet 180 yd low hurdles:

1964 (wind +3 mph)
                          3. Steve Caminiti, 18.7
                          5. (See TRIVIA question # 1 below), 19.0
                          6. Greg Heet, Lowell, San Francisco 19.2

1965 (wind-aided +6 mph)
                          5. Bill Persons (San Fernando) 18.8 (Persons also won the 120 yd highs in meet record 13.8)

TRIVIA QUESTION # 1

The fifth place finisher in the 1964 180 yd lows final, who also placed 3rd in the 120 yd highs that year, was the younger brother of what Cal State, NCAA, AAU and Olympic champion?

TRIVIA QUESTION # 2

The 4th place finisher in the 1965 California State meet 120 yd highs final (in 14.1) went on to a moment of fame as the Federal trial court judge in Unabomber (Theodore Kaczynski) case. Who was he?

Comment

<TRIVIA QUESTION # 1
                            The fifth place finisher in the 1964 180 yd lows final, who also placed 3rd in the 120 yd highs that year, was the younger brother of what Cal State, NCAA, AAU and Olympic champion?>

It's Ernie Smith of Lemoore, younger brother of Tommie Smith. Actually, he was not 3rd in 1964 120H but 3rd in 1965. He fell in finals of 1965 State Meet, where he was the favorite (he recovered to win Golden West in 1965 @ 18.5).

<TRIVIA QUESTION # 2

The 4th place finisher in the 1965 California State meet 120 yd highs final (in 14.1) went on to a moment of fame as the Federal trial court judge in Unabomber (Theodore Kaczynski) case. Who was he?>

I had to check the meet program for this one. It was Garland Burrell of LA Washington.

Comment

EastBayprepoftheweek67 ...

Bruce McIntosh, Rick Obrand and Bill Peck write in their handbook, “High School Sports History California Track and Field,” 1996 supplement, that the “official state records” of the Calif State meet were destroyed in a fire. They don't say when the fire occurred.

from just 64 and/or 65 ... or additional more yrs? Current state records/ or yr by yr. or something else. You know where these guys are? or how to contact?

seems some kind of effort could be made to reconstruct. be a matter of some 'die hard' fan with some interest/motivation and reasonable access to resources.

T&FN used to (don't know now - sorry no subscription for quite a few yrs) list annual results - at least the better performances - and

I mentioned Jack Shepard before - I think he has every high school mark in every high school meet, nation wide - dual meet or otherwise, since the 50s. OK maybe not quite - but he's got a bunch - or had.

My guess would be that the interest would be limited to a select few. maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                              X