Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest Male, MPH?

Who is the fastest human on record, in terms of miles per hour (I suspect 60 yd. dash men are the shortest "reliable" sustained top speed competitors on record)? For some time, the Guiness Book listed Bob Hayes at 27 mph and some change as the fastest. Encyclopedias always have a drawing that graphs the swiftest mammals in relationship to man (cheetah, gazelle, racehorse).

Bijan

Re: Fastest Male, MPH?

I believe it was Donovan Bailey in 96' in Atlanta, however it could have been Mo in Athens and his 9.79. I don't believe it was Tim Montgomery. I think Bailey was close to 28mph.

Comment

I thought it was micheal johnson, considering the fact that he ran an 8.79 for the second split of the 1996 200 meter final. Isn't it like 27.5.....mph

Comment

sorry, little mistake, it probably is bob hayes with his 8.6 second anchor leg

Comment

Thanks. One would think a 4 x 100 relay split or a 60 sprinter would be the fastest. McTear or someone similar. I think primarily 100 meter men have been timed, and that for the 60 or 50, we'd have to do the math ourselves.

BCB

Comment

As I just posted on the historical board, the fastest reputable speed is the 0.83 second 10m split Carl ran. That's 29+ mph as I recall.

Comment

I'm not surprised it's The King. In relay anchors,even on the tube, it appeared as if his feet were barely making contact with the track. He was flying.

BCB

Comment

no actually carl lewis's 0.83 was a little less than 27 mph

Comment

math ain't my strong suit, sorry - it comes to 26.96mph, yes?

Comment

Best I know is .82 for 60-70m in Bailey & Greene WRs. 27.26 mph. Obviously, Obadele Thompson was faster, wind-aided.. too bad no splits for that one. Anyone know of a faster 100 split than MJ's 8.76 (40-140m) in his 19.32?

Comment

How many of you as kids, when your dad or mom would slowly leave your street or a parking space, and the car would reach 27 mph, would think "Bob Hayes could run this fast for a few moments...", and try to feel how fast the vehicle was moving?

I recall learning how fast a ten speed racing bike could go downhill, and trying to estimate when I was around 27 mph. Some teenagers had ten speeds with speedometers between the handlebars.

Bijan

Comment

The following list was put together by Pierre-Jean on the IAAF.org-Forums.

Top Speeds of which human beings have achieved
                        (Men)

28mph(12.51m/s), by Carl Lewis in Los Angeles 1984 OG final won in 9.99s. That was the speed mesured by Swiss Timing for his last 2 meters. The accuracy is mediocre! (source Track & Field News October 1984)

44.88km/h (12.47m/s), by Bob Hayes in 21 June 1963 during his 9.1sWR for 100y. He was hand-timed at 60y in 6.0s and at 75y in 7.1s, worth 1.1s for 15y. This is a catastrophic accuracy... For that same race, PJ has found 2 other speeds: 43.5km/h (12.08m/s) and 43.291km/h (12.02m/s) but PJ doesn't know what has changed in the measurment... (source Quid annuals)

0.81s, for a 10m section which is worth 12.34m/s between 60m and 70m by Ben Johnson in Zürich'85, in a 10.03s race. This is from a video analyse made by his coach Charlie Francis. PJ says whilst viewing the video, it is one of the most incredible races that he has seen, his acceleration at the mid-race was enourmous, and he stopped running 10m before the line(recording a 1.00s last 10m Split! When he was in shape to run the last 10m in around 0.84-0.87s!), missing probably the then-9.93sWR. PJ does not know much about the accuracy of the 0.81s for Ben found by Charlie.

12.1m/s, by Ato Boldon (in semi-final) and Donovan Bailey (final) in Atlanta'96 OG according Swatch Timing with the Laveg system. The accuracy again is not great as it doesn't permit to have one centimeter(cm) precision. (source La Fabuleuse Histoire De L'Athlétisme, R.Parienté)

0.83s for a 10m section worth 12.05m/s, by Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson in Seoul'88, also by Lewis in Tokyo'91 by Donovan Bailey in Atlanta'96 according IAAF scientific studies (source Biomechanical Research Project Athens 1997). PJ has found also 0.83s from his Video Analsyis, for Tim Montgomery during his 9.78s 100m WR.

11.95m/s, by Tommie Smith during his 19.5 straight 220y WR in 1966. His last 20y was timed in 1.53. (source; 200m et 220y Temps Automatiques 1932-1982,
                        J-C.Patinaud)

11.91m/s, by Donovan Bailey in Athens 1997 4x100m final during his 8.94 anchor leg.
                        Maurice Greene and Bailey reached 11.87m/s during the 100m final. These are instantaneous running speeds measured by a laser system Laveg, more accurate than in Atlanta, finding the distance each runner covers in every 0.2s(1/5th of a second).

The ''Biomechanical Analysis of Sprinting: Decathletes versus Champions'' by Kunz and Kaufmann (Brit. J. Sports Med. - Vol.15, N°3, September 1981).

For champions, they recorded with a 16 mm Locam camera (100 Hz) placed at the 70m mark the first 3 of the 100m final in Zürch international meet in 1977 (1st place, Steve Williams 10.16s, 2nd place, Don Quarrie 10.22s, 3rd place, Steve Riddick 10.25s). They searched stride length and stride frequency for 4 strides, and from that data, we can find their speed: 12.04m/s, 11.88m/s and 11.72m/s (as data are from graphics, the results are anonymous).

And I have compiled a list of the Fastest combined 10m Split times for each 10m section of a Men's 100m sprint race (0-10m, 10-20m, etc.) on the Run-Down Forums. The Split Times given
                        do come from my Video-Tape Analysis, so there is, of course, an error margin.

http://run-down.com/statistics/100m_top_splits.php

Comment

For some time, the Guiness Book listed Bob Hayes at 27 mph and some
                          >change as the fastest.

I do own many editions of the 'Guiness Book Of Records' (1955, 1966, 1967 & 1972-2004), and you are correct that they did list Bob Hayes (USA) as achieving the Fastest Speed.
                          The 1974 edition of the Guiness Book Of Records writes this of Bob Hayes; ''Robert Lee Hayes (b.20 Dec.1942) of Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.A, was timed at the 60 (6.0sec) and 75yds (7.1sec) marks in a 100 yrad event at St.Louis, Missouri, on 21st June 1963, which indicates a speed of 27.89m.p.h (44.88km/h).''

Comment

I said back in the late 80's and I still believe it today. Carl Lewis at top speed was the fastest human being ever to live. Some had better starts, some better finishes (maybe) and some could hold a top speed longer but at pure top speed Carl was the fastest I've ever seen and I bet a detailed view of the tapes, stats would prove this.

Comment

>How many of you as kids, when your dad or mom would slowly leave your street or
                              >a parking space, and the car would reach 27 mph, would think "Bob Hayes could
                              >run this fast for a few moments...", and try to feel how fast the vehicle was
                              >moving?

I've thought similar thoughts - not about Bob Hayes, though. I've applied those kind of thoughts to the likes of Mo, Carl and Dwain.....

Maybe I should be reporting this is the "geekiest thing..." thread....?

Comment

Working...
                              X