Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse Owens HSR Trivia

In 1933 Owens set the High School Record in the long jump at 24-11 1/4. Who comes on either side of him? i.e., whose record did Owens break and who broke Owens' mark?

Re: Jesse Owens HSR Trivia

I'll go with:
    broke Skinny Whipple's mark of 24'10 that same year - '33
    and
    George Brown broke the mark in '49 with a 25'2.5

Not positive on the former, but pretty sure on the latter.

Comment

Well, dang! That didn't take nearly long enough. OK, for extra credit, what were their high schools, and what was Skinny's real first name.

Comment

"Well, dang! That didn't take nearly long enough. OK, for extra credit, what were their high schools, and what was Skinny's real first name."

Skinny was Winfield and died at age 21 of cancer! He went to Arkadelphia.

George went to Jordan HS in Cal.

Comment

Also I seem to remember about 10 years ago the Ohio HS state record finally fell. But I can't recall who did it.

Comment

Your thinking of Ramon Johnson from Warrensville. He jumped 25' 9 1/2" at the state meet. Only two guys have jumped better than Owens in the history of Ohio High School track - Johnson and Todd Bell (1976).

24’11 1/4” Jesse Owens Clev. East Tech 6/3/33 Cleveland Senate Conf.
            25’5” Todd Bell Middletown 4/10/76 Mansfield Relays
            25’9 1/2” Ramon Johnson Warrensville 6/1/96 State Meet, Ohio St.

Comment

The longevity of Jesse Owens OHS 100 meter record is impressive.
              Owens Cleveland East Tech 10.3-1933
              Lamar Preyor Trotwood Madison 10.3 -1975
              Jeff Phillips Columbus Whitehall 10.3 - 1976
              Kevin McBroom Columbus Wehrly 10.3 -1982
              Tony Lee Dayton Jefferson 10.38-1988

At least 5 other runners have run in the 10.45 to 10.50 range since then. Still if Owens 10.3 in 1933 were fully automatic, his time would have been somewhere between 10.42 and 10.51, on a cinder track with n blocks!

Comment

The state record, as a poster noted, was broken by High School All American back Todd Bell, who went on to star at safety for Ohio State and the Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears.

Other NFL'ers who were state or national schoolboy track champions included Russ Francis of Honolulu in the discus, Terry Bradshaw of Shreveport in the discus, Paul Warfield of Warren, Oh. in the long jump (was a good high hurdler as well), and Gale Sayers of Omaha Central, a state long jump champ. Sayers' 1961 high school rival in the long jump was Bobby Williams of Lincoln, who led the NFL in punt return average in 1967.

On the collegiate level, Jonathan Ogden of the Ravens was a Pac-10 shot put champ at UCLA. Michael Carter of the 1980's 49'ers was an NCAA shot put champion. O.J. Simpson ran a leg on a word-record setting 440 relay team at USC,Earl McCullough was also on that relay team, he a future Detroit Lions split end.

1950's-'60's NFL'ers Bobby Mitchell and J.C. Caroline were star hurdlers at Illinois. Homer Jones had been a track star, and he played for the Giants at 230 pounds, was still fleet enough to average 27 yds. a catch and haul in 14 touchdowns in 1967. (teammates included trackmen Del Shofner, Dick Stebbins, Henry Carr).

Cowboys' All-Pro CB Mel Renfro was one of the premier high hurdlers in the NCAA in 1963 and 1964. He ran in the NCAA Outdoor finals (I believe he was invited to the Olympic trials). Of course Jim Thorpe,Bob Hayes, Henry Carr and Ollie Matson, were Olympians. Didn't Ron Brown (Rams) run in the L.A. Games? The AFL was replete with track stars such as Stone Johnson, Bo Roberson.

In 1967, the Dallas Cowboys made Randy Matson of Texas A & M a late round draft selection.

Comment

"if Owens 10.3 in 1933 were fully automatic, his time would have been somewhere between 10.42 and 10.51"

Huh, how'd you get that? Probably closer to 10.60 (Houston McTear's 9.0 was actually 9.30). The standard add-on of .24 rarely applies to HS, where .30 is the norm. The best I've seen is .20 and the worst .60!!.

Comment

Let's start with the fact that Owens did NOT run 10.3 in 1933. I suspect that's somebody melding ancient yard marks into an Ohio all-time list and they added 0.9 to his 100y time of 9.4 from that year. The usual figure used to convert 100y to 100m is 0.85.

Owens himself used to tell a wonderful anecdote about HS timing. Asked the difference between the 9.4 he ran as a prep and his 9.4 as a collegian he said, "about 3 yards."

Comment

Let's start with the fact that Owens did NOT run 10.3 in 1933. I suspect that's somebody melding ancient yard marks into an Ohio all-time list and they added 0.9 to his 100y time of 9.4 from that year. The usual figure used to convert 100y to 100m is 0.85.

Oops the year was wrong, it was 1932, but try out this website and you'll find the evidence.

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~jsquire/hsodboysrecords.htm

Comment

The 1932 mark was wind-aided.

Comment

To really find out just how fast Owens was during 1932 it would be very interesting if anyone has any info on races he ran against top class runners that year.
                          As I recall it he ran in preliminary (regional ?) oly trials before the games and then against some international field after the games..
                          Anyone who has more details ??

Comment

What a slip. I meant "javelin", not discus, for both Terry Bradshaw and Russ Francis.

Bijan

Comment

And Francis went to HS in Oregon, not Honolulu (although his family did have Hawaiian ties)

Comment

Working...
                              X