Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trivia question

in what year was the women's 11-second barrier broken in the 100m dash (hand timed and electronically

Re: trivia question

Hand timed - 1973
    (Renate Stecher's 10.9h in Ostrava)

Electronically - 1977
    (Marlies Gohr - 10.88 in Dresden)

Comment

Women's 100 yard records

here's an interesting trivia question, to which I don't have the answer:
      Who was the first female to break 10-flat in the 100 yards, hand and automatic timing? Will the answer have to be en route to 100m?

Comment

Re: Women's 100 yard records

and wind-aided, it was highschooler Margaret Bailes(17), 10.8(4.0w),'68 at Flagstaff. Don't know of any sub-10 100y times - none were taken after 100y was terminated.

Comment

And, Chi Cheng probably would have been first sub-11, if her 10.10 100y was FAT (=10.96 converted), national AAU, Portland,Or, June 1970.

Comment

Ok, now this is starting to bug me - gh? hjsteve? The King? Who can answer my female sub-10 100y questions?

Comment

>Ok, now this is starting to bug me - gh? hjsteve? The King? Who can answer my
              >female sub-10 100y questions?

There are currently NO official sub-10sec times for the Women's 100 yard sprint. The Fastest time on record is Chi Cheng's 10.0s (10flat) hand-timed in Portland 13th June 1970.
              And to compare, the fastest indoor Women's 100 yard time is 10.15s by Heike Drechsler in 1987.
              10.15s for 100 yards is worth 11.00-11.05s (for Women) asuming that the top class Women run the last 10m in 10m/s.
              So Chi's 10.0s is worth 10.24s FAT, and 11.09-11.14s for FAT 100m.

However, in the 1999 Sevilla World Championships Women's 100m final, from Biomechanical Analysis Split times, Marion Jones reached the 90m mark in 9.72+, once again, if we asume that the top class Women run at speeds exceeding 10m/s, Jones' 9.72+ is worth 9.86+ for 100 yards.
              (100yds = 91.44m. 1.4m in 0.14s)

Comment

Thank you, King, that's what I suspected . . .SO . . . why not run a women's 100y race in a big meet this year and get the first OFFICIAL female under 10??!! At least put a camera at 100y and get some free publicity for the meet. Hey, hype is hype. The FIRST FEMALE UNDER 10! That's a good promo. (Of course, someone had better do it then. I agree that it would have to be about a 10.90-10.95 race.)

Comment

>Thank you, King, that's what I suspected . . .SO . . . why not run a women's
                  >100y race in a big meet this year and get the first OFFICIAL female under
                  >10??!! At least put a camera at 100y and get some free publicity for the meet.
                  >Hey, hype is hype. The FIRST FEMALE UNDER 10! That's a good promo. (Of course,
                  >someone had better do it then. I agree that it would have to be about a
                  >10.90-10.95 race.)

I think that's a great idea. If I was meet promoter I would include the current crop of the top Women's 100m sprinters to date.
                  I probably include these athletes in the rcae;
                  Kelli White (if not banned)
                  Chrstye Gaines (if not banned)
                  Christine Arron
                  Zhanna Block
                  Torri Edwards
                  Muriel Hurits

You know, all the top Women.

Comment

Does anyone know what is the fastest relay split over 200 meters (or 220 yards) for women?

Comment

This is one we'd love to have an exact FAT time for. Marion's anchor in the 1:27.46 ('00 PennR) was said to be 20.8 - is there any technician who could do film analysis to determine her actual 200.00m time?

Comment

(She and Nanceen Perry covered the last 400 faster the Michael Johnson - 42.8)

Comment

"Marion's anchor in the
                          >1:27.46 ('00 PennR) was said to be 20.8 - is there any technician who could
                          >do film analysis to determine her actual 200.00m time?"

I'd love to see a copy of the tape if someone has generated the 20.8 from film. There are several reasons why someone not intimately familiar with Franklin Field could have miscalculated.

If the time was taken live and not off tape, my guess is that it was taken by Walt Murphy while working for ESPN, or else from the pressbox by Bob Hersh or Jack Pfeifer (most likely) or another person on the statistician's row.

I've seen this split posted, but I've never known where it came from. Enlighten me, please.

Comment

The official split time given was (and still is) 20.8s. I have seen this split time reported within several issues of the British Track & Field magazine 'Athletics Weekly' and I have also seen this split time included in all-time 200m relay leg split time for Women.
                            Pierre-Jean (who posts regularly on this board) has recorded a split time of 20.83s from his Video-Tape Analysis.

Comment

>The official split time given was (and still is) 20.8s. I have seen this split
                              >time reported within several issues of the British Track & Field magazine
                              >'Athletics Weekly' and I have also seen this split time included in all-time
                              >200m relay leg split time for Women.
                              Pierre-Jean (who posts regularly on this
                              >board) has recorded a split time of 20.83s from his Video-Tape Analysis.

The 20.8 may be accurate, but by no means was it "official." I'd still love for someone to contact me regarding video analysis ([email protected]).

Comment

Working...
                              X