Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Five Best T & F Announcers/Analysts Ever

Speaking of Dick Bank, if anyone was watching espn classic early today, he was commenting on an old CBS Sports Spectacular of John Pennel pole vaulting. Other great stuff on today's show was a tape of Matzdorf's WR 1971 high jump. I forgot how good those old track shows were in those days.

PS. Kudos to GH for identifying Bank as the wild man on that Mills tape, who along with Brad Palmer make a wonderful commentary I've listened to many times.

Comment

Carol Lewis? Come on, she couldn't be more annoying. I'm tired of hearing her say every five minutes, well that was a good race, let's get back to my long jumping career.

Comment

>Carol Lewis? Come on, she couldn't be more annoying. I'm tired of hearing her
        >say every five minutes, well that was a good race, let's get back to my long
        >jumping career.

Puh-leeze! Having worked with Carol on 99.9% of the shows she's done, I can guarantee that she rarely talks about herself. But when she does, it's usually in perfect context with the particular situation that she's addressing.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned NBC's Charlie Jones, whose call of the 1988 Seoul 100 (among others) is one of the classics.

Comment

>Speaking of Dick Bank, if anyone was watching espn classic early today, he was
          >commenting on an old CBS Sports Spectacular of
          PS. Kudos to
          >GH for identifying Bank as the wild man on that Mills tape, who along with
          >Brad Palmer make a wonderful commentary I've listened to many times.

For the record, his name was Bud Palmer. I don't think Bank ever worked again after breaking in on Mills' race.

Comment

> I don't think Bank ever worked again after breaking in on Mills' race.<

That can't be true. The Mills race was 1964 and Bank was on those CBS shows of the '69-70 era.

Comment

walt,

what insight other than "keep the turnover up" does Carol Lewis offer in any of her broadcasts?

i question her depth of knowledge.

Comment

Does anyone remember Bill Rodgers' brief career as a TV commentator for an indoor meet? He wasn't...let us say...very good.

Comment

"what insight other than "keep the turnover up" does Carol Lewis offer in any of her broadcasts? I question her depth of knowledge."

She does have the knowledge, but she always has to belabor the obvious. She mostly either restates what the other commentator has said, or tells us what we just saw with our own eyes. She should be more like Dwight by just sticking to a technical breakdown of the race, and stop gushing about how wonderful person X or Y is. She is supposed to be the 'expert' but she thinks she's the 'personality.' Dwight has no such illusions, which is why I like him. Carol COULD be good, but she has not yet chosen to be. Walt is right to defend her as a gentleman, but hopefully he can see she has lots of room for improvement.

Comment

Okay, now this question:

What seperates the European commentators from their American coutnerparts?

I've watched more than my fair share of Eurosport, BBC and CBC (Ovett) athletics coverage and they are vastly superior to anything I've ever seen on ESPN or NBC or Fox SPORTS. Why?

I think they have a greater depth of knowledge and are more personally involved in the sport (Dwight Stones may be the exception). And they don't define athletics in terms of american football.

Comment

Don't blame the announcers; blame the American TV setup, which is so commercially driven.

Euro telecasts as I've viewed them are generally able to be free-form dialogue over top of a track meet as it unfolds.

Telecasts of American meets are pre-planned to the second to work around commercials (and too many of them, needless to say). So the announcers tend to be following a script much of the time and have to get in and get out in windows of time that aren't conducive to expressing one's "real self." Or, all too often, to do anything but state the obvious.

Comment

>And they don't define athletics in terms
                        >of american football.

Go to some of the sprint sites. They talk about football all the time.

Comment

I've seen the scripts that GH is refering to and they are down to the very second. That's the whole problem with the coverage, its micromanaged. They'd never do this to baseball, while it's my all-time fav sport, which has more dead time than a funeral home after a natural disaster and they let the guys just ramble. That ends up being the charm of the game and the announcers get to be real. Why can't the network execs figure that out?

Comment

The walking lobotomy, Larry Rawson and the incessantly yapping Carol Lewis should be placed in some small metal capsule and blasted into the center of the sun.

If I hear one more moronic analogy from Rawson comparing, say the Kenyan and Ethiopian "rivalry" to "the Yankees and the Red Sox" or whatever, I will...be extremely displeased...

Alberto Salazar is very very good. Never heard him say a dumb thing.

Comment

Lewis Johnson is also good, particularly on the interviews. Frank Shorter has done a lot of work and always makes intelligent comments. But I think Dwight Stones could describe ice melting and make it seem interesting. His ability to articulate the technical details of the field events is incredible. And he's better than most of the hacks at calling a track race.

Here's a link to the IAAF web site with a bunch of race calls by Vic Holchak:

http://www.iaaf.org/WCH03/multimedia/type=audio/

Comment

I used to call the 800 number to hear Holchak give the Grand Prix results and call a few races. These were far better than the TV broadcasts. What's good about Holchak is that he skips the unnecessary information (fluff) and calls the play by play.

On TV I used to mute it occasionally, but you still have to deal with all the background info vignettes. They show these vignettes but you only get to see the winning attempt in most field events. It would be nice if they showed attempts throughout the meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X