• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob H
    replied
    Re: Five Best T & F Announcers/Analysts Ever

Thank you, Ed.

And thank you for your recent contributions to the Board. It was nice to hear from you and to learn where you were these days.

Leave a comment:

• The Fern
    replied

The first person I thought of when I read this was Bob Hersh, hands down. On TV I have a High Jumper's patriotism to Dwight with the back-up that he's so damn good at it. I also like Charlie Jones, Craig Masback and you too Mr. Shorter. I saw the '97 Worlds while visiting England and thought Steve Cram was very good. Also on that broadcast Denise Lewis did a great job of guest commentary as did Sally Gunnell.

Leave a comment:

• Ten Bears
    replied

I agree about Adrian Metcalfe. I am not sure where I have heard him--perhaps on IAAF tapes, but I remember I was struck by the quality of his work.

Good 400 meter man in his day, too.

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied

>Okay, now this question:

What seperates the European commentators from their
    >American coutnerparts?

I've watched more than my fair share of Eurosport,
    >BBC and CBC (Ovett) athletics coverage and they are vastly superior to anything
    >I've ever seen on ESPN or NBC or Fox SPORTS. Why?

I've said this on other lists: European announcers assume that their audience knows the sport, whereas American announcers don't. Think of watching football, baseball or even tennis and golf. The announcers casually use technical terms and jargon and assume the audience is familiar with it. If you have kids, you'll find that you have to explain a lot to them that the announcers assume that the viewers already know. The problem is that announcing to an audience that one assumes is naive makes for a boring broadcast. The questions asked by the lead of the color announcers are incredibly inane because the questions are about the basics of the sport, not the in depth details that those familiar with the sport want to hear. The lead announcers should be ready and able to explain all of those basics, just as they do for other sports that are broadcast. Track is especially burdened by the lack of knowledgable lead announcers who would announce a football game differently.

I think they have a
    >greater depth of knowledge and are more personally involved in the sport
    >(Dwight Stones may be the exception). And they don't define athletics in terms
    >of american football.

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied

>>Carol Lewis? Come on, she couldn't be more annoying. I'm tired of hearing
    >her
    >say every five minutes, well that was a good race, let's get back to my
    >long
    >jumping career.

Puh-leeze! Having worked with Carol on 99.9% of the
    >shows she's done, I can guarantee that she rarely talks about herself. But when
    >she does, it's usually in perfect context with the particular situation that
    >she's addressing.

OK, she doesn't talk about herself, but her analysis of every race is identical and cliched. I almost scream when I hear her. I sometime mute the shows during races she's calling.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned NBC's Charlie Jones,
    >whose call of the 1988 Seoul 100 (among others) is one of the classics.

Hey, Walt, I think the Seoul 800 call was the REAL classic... :^)

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    replied

I'm replying to my own posting here! Anyway, a good way to access the relative qualities of commentators would be to hear them report on the same event. I clearly remember how much better Adrian Metcalfe's commentary was on David Hemery's Mexico win compared with David Coleman's. Of course, Coleman is famous in the UK for his " Coleman balls", his "errors" in commentary. For example, at the end of the Hemery race he shouted, " Hemery is first, the German is second, and who cares who's third! ". As it happened, another Brit, John Sherwood came third - much to Coleman's subsequent embarrassment!

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    replied

I've followed athletic commentaries for nearly 50 years - in the UK, and the best, undoubtedly, was Adrian Metcalfe. He could really read a race. Of course, he was a massively talented athlete, and but for injuries would have become a superstar. Looking back on his commentaries on some of the great middle-distance races of the late -70s and early 80s, he was in a different league than say, David Coleman.

Leave a comment:

• stevehj197
    replied

>The Dick Bank choice is right on...but I can't believe no one has mentioned Bob
    >Hersh--extraordinary long time track & field announcer. He was listed as one of
    >the panel of judges to honor the 10 greatest Olympic distance races of all time
    >in the latest (Feb. 2004) Runner's World.

I think everyone was thinking about TV only.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The Dick Bank choice is right on...but I can't believe no one has mentioned Bob Hersh--extraordinary long time track & field announcer. He was listed as one of the panel of judges to honor the 10 greatest Olympic distance races of all time in the latest (Feb. 2004) Runner's World.

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied

My vote goes to Dick Bank and amongst the ex-athletes I'd have to say Jim Beatty. The new guy Allen Bestwick seems to have done a lot of homework in prepping for his turn behind the mike last summer. It was a bit of a shock since I'm used to seeing him announcing NASCAR.

Does David Perry, the voice behind the Bud Greenspan films count?

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

"Geoff Gowan is the chap. His range of knowledge (technical) over a wide variety of events is particularly impressive."

Substance over style comes to mind; listening to Gowan introduce an event, with his highly analytical videos which outline each competition's objectives, technical requirements, and technical obstacles, can be somewhat dry but always about as accurate and informative as you're likely to get anywhere.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I used to call the 800 number to hear Holchak give the Grand Prix results and call a few races. These were far better than the TV broadcasts. What's good about Holchak is that he skips the unnecessary information (fluff) and calls the play by play.

On TV I used to mute it occasionally, but you still have to deal with all the background info vignettes. They show these vignettes but you only get to see the winning attempt in most field events. It would be nice if they showed attempts throughout the meet.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

Lewis Johnson is also good, particularly on the interviews. Frank Shorter has done a lot of work and always makes intelligent comments. But I think Dwight Stones could describe ice melting and make it seem interesting. His ability to articulate the technical details of the field events is incredible. And he's better than most of the hacks at calling a track race.

Here's a link to the IAAF web site with a bunch of race calls by Vic Holchak:

http://www.iaaf.org/WCH03/multimedia/type=audio/

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The walking lobotomy, Larry Rawson and the incessantly yapping Carol Lewis should be placed in some small metal capsule and blasted into the center of the sun.

If I hear one more moronic analogy from Rawson comparing, say the Kenyan and Ethiopian "rivalry" to "the Yankees and the Red Sox" or whatever, I will...be extremely displeased...

Alberto Salazar is very very good. Never heard him say a dumb thing.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied

I've seen the scripts that GH is refering to and they are down to the very second. That's the whole problem with the coverage, its micromanaged. They'd never do this to baseball, while it's my all-time fav sport, which has more dead time than a funeral home after a natural disaster and they let the guys just ramble. That ends up being the charm of the game and the announcers get to be real. Why can't the network execs figure that out?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X