Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Olympians

Top Ten Olympians: story link on Home Page

Track gets #s 9, 2, and 1. Can you guess them?

[I missed Nurmi at #5 because I saw the picture of the skater and did ot look at the name and the text, duh].

I'll guess/hope it is 9 Nurmi, 2 Owens, 1 Lewis

Comment

The piece is bullshit. They can't count to 10. (There are 11 listed.)

Comment

Re: Top Ten Olympians

Originally posted by 26mi235
        Track gets #s 9, 2, and 1. Can you guess them?
        USA track gets 9, 2,and 1.

World track gets 1,2, 5 and 9

Comment

1. Jesse Owens 2. Carl Lewis and 9. Al Oerter.

Obviously, someone can look at the site and answer the question, but I thought that it would take a while for someone to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by tlb747
            Yes, but Oerter is really number 10 because they've got two number 8's. Absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Originally posted by tlb747
              Yes, but Oerter is really number 10 because they've got two number 8's. Absurd.
              You are correct, but there is a reason for that.

http://www.hofmag.com/content/view/896/60/

Comment

There may be a reason for having two guys tied for 8th. There's no reason, other than not being able to count, to have two guys tied for 8th and then have the next one be 9th, rather than 10th.

Comment

There may be a reason for having two guys tied for 8th. There's no reason, other than not being able to count, to have two guys tied for 8th and then have the next one be 9th, rather than 10th.
                  I see your point, but the information is from the internet. Can we trust everything that comes from the internet?

Comment

Geez, get over it. You sound like a five year old.

Comment

Just cuz I know how to count to 10?

Comment

Spitz below an oarsman and that gymnast (not Nadia?!) is ludicrous. His wins/WRs were way beyond their accomplishments.

Comment

I think that you missed the point of the commentary -- he is not #8 but that are squeezing in an supplementary member and putting him together with Heiden due to subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            Spitz below an oarsman and that gymnast (not Nadia?!) is ludicrous. His wins/WRs were way beyond their accomplishments.
                            I disagree a bit with your assessment because gymnasts, especially women, typically had such short careers. However, the claim that it came over 12 years because there were three Olympics is a bit of an exaggeration (although citing eight years understates the duration that you need to be at the top, especially if you get your timing wrong so that your best years are not a great match for the particular four-year cycle). I do recognize, however, that 1) there were important incentives that probably led to a long career and 2) the sport was pretty thin then (more money now and more Americans, for instance).

Comment

I'd throw Birgit Fischer into that pot of Great Olympians - loads of medals, and golds as far apart as 1980 to 2004!

Comment

Working...
                              X