Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Post on Don Meyers, NCAA LJ ('61) and PV ('62) champ

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9238442

"It basically was him saying, 'Here's the pole and you run down the runway,' " Meyers said. "He built me into a pole vaulter from scratch."

Never heard of this guy - but he was the NCAA champ in Long Jump one year, and then NCAA champ in the Pole Vault the next year?!
    That's truly incredible!
    Did he compete in both events at both championships?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
      Never heard of this guy - but he was the NCAA champ in Long Jump one year, and then NCAA champ in the Pole Vault the next year?!
      That's truly incredible!
      T&FN's NCAA Championships history notes that in 1962 Meyers competed in both, claiming 11th in the LJ along with winning the PV.

Comment

It is inconceivable to imagine someone performing this type of double, today.

Comment

Reminds me of Duke all-time great Joel Shankle, who was 1955 NCAA champ in the Long Jump, and a year later got a Bronze in the Olympics 110 Hurdles

Comment

That's truly incredible!
            The take-off to both events is virtually identical. Many good HS LJers have become successful PVers. I believe Mary Saxer was a converted LJer.

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
            It is inconceivable to imagine someone performing this type of double, today.
            At the Oly level, the deal-breaker is the time one has to spend on the PV.
            At a lower level, Garrett Scantling won all 4 jumps at his Florida District (a competitive one) Championships. He specialized in HJ/PV, but the LJ/TJ came naturally to him.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Armand Duplantis could jump 24 or 25 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                Reminds me of Duke all-time great Joel Shankle, who was 1955 NCAA champ in the Long Jump, and a year later got a Bronze in the Olympics 110 Hurdles
                WOW!!!

Comment

Joel Shankle is the answer to a Duke sports trivia question. In 2002 the ACC picked its all-time Top 50 teams in every sport, on the 50th anniversary of the conference. Shankle was chosen for track & field. But he is not in the Duke Sports Hall of Fame. Only 2 people chosen on the ACC All-Time Top 50 teams are not in the Duke Sports Hall of Fame. Rather puzzling.

Comment

Shankle was also 3rd in the 1955 AAU decathlon and 4th in that event in 1953.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Shankle was also 3rd in the 1955 AAU decathlon and 4th in that event in 1953.
                      I never knew that ! And bambam, with your knowledge, fame, and clout, go to work, please, and get Shankle in the Duke Sports HOF.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Armand Duplantis could jump 24 or 25 feet.
                        I think at least 25 feet given he jumper 23'5.5" in high school at age 17.

Comment

I never knew that ! And bambam, with your knowledge, fame, and clout, go to work, please, and get Shankle in the Duke Sports HOF.
                          I'd be more interested in getting the other guy into the Duke HOF

Comment

In 2002 the ACC picked its all-time Top 50 teams in every sport, on the 50th anniversary of the conference.
                            Archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120307...030802aaa.html

Men's Cross Country
                            https://web.archive.org/web/20041130...073002aaa.html

Women's Cross Country
                            Unfortunately, not archived.

Men's Track & Field
                            https://web.archive.org/web/20060215...091702aaa.html

Women's Track & Field
                            https://web.archive.org/web/20121010...091802aaa.html

Comment

I'd be more interested in getting the other guy into the Duke HOF
                              Bill Mallon, Duke (1970-1973)
                              Two-time All-American in 1972 & 73 ... two-time NCAA Tournament participant as an individual ... holds Duke Golf Course single-round record of 63 set in 1971 ... had four top-10 finishes on the PGA Tour from 1975-79.
                              Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20121010...080702aaa.html

Comment

Working...
                              X