1967 AAU Championships-Bakersfield Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 AAU Championships-Bakersfield Trivia

First what two world records were set in this meet?
    Second Essex Catholic HS, NJ had two entrants-who were these two?

Last what two high school boys ran the mile-one ran 3.59.8(7th) and the other 4.01.8(9th)?

Re: 1967 AAU Championships-Bakersfield Trivia

Now see?! This is why we need ALL the old T&FN's available on PDFs. C'mon boys, do the right thing here.

Comment

Liquori is the answer to one of them.

Comment

Mark Murro ,jav.

Comment

Jim Ryun beat his own mile record with 3:51.1.

Comment

I was at this meet. Interestingly enough, both the Essex HS athletes (Liquori and Murro) placed 7th. The other world record was Paul Wilson's 17'8" in the pole vault. From my memory, there was not a 2nd HS athlete in the mile final. A 4:01.8 would have been quite newsworthy in those days (still is).

Comment

doggone it, not that anyone cares/believes but me, but I knew all that stuff, but even a dweeb like me cannot be hovered waiting for every question 24 hours a day !

Comment

How nice you weren't around; for once some other people actually got a chance to play.

Comment

>How nice you weren't around; for once some other people actually got a chance
                  >to play.

I am always thoughtful and considerate of others. And of course there's always those impediments such as job/career, spouse/home, other interests, etc.

Comment

Jim,

I too attended the meet. You got all the right answers except the other high school miler was Tim Danielson from Chula Vista High School

Comment

While Danielson was in that race I don't think he was still in high school. Ed Dean was 10th in 4:04, was he a high schooler then?

Comment

Conor, You are right! Danielson graduated from Chula Vista HS in 1966. The results in the program listed him from Chula Vista HS.

Comment

To the two gentlemen who actually attended this meet (I wish I could have seen it!)...what do remember about it all? Was there a large attendance? Was there great excitement leading up to the mile? Was it assumed that this race would be a WR attempt? Etc. Thanks.

Comment

Had there been auto timing, I'll bet Willie Davenport would've had an 'auto' WR at that meet. It was all murky at that time - the 'real' WR wasn't certain until '68 Oly. (auto..)

Comment

>Had there been auto timing, I'll bet Willie Davenport would've had an 'auto' WR
                              >at that meet. It was all murky at that time - the 'real' WR wasn't certain
                              >until '68 Oly. (auto..)

That's a 50-50 bet, at best. The auto "wr" at the time was from the AAU the year before at Randall's Island. Davenport ran the 120H in 13.3, with the Bulova showing 13.44.

Comment

Working...
                              X