Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1967 AAU Championships-Bakersfield Trivia

To: kuha1. First I think the attendance was about 8,000 folks. What I remember most was the wide range of high quality marks in addition to the two world's records. 220-Tommy Smith 20.4, 440-Lee Evans 45.3, 880-Wade Bell 1.46.1, Shot-Randy Matson 66'11". Remember this meet was 36 years ago. In the mile Ryan won by a ton at 3.51.1 over Jim Grelle at 3.56.1. There were 7 milers under 4 minutes. One longevity note. I first saw Parry O'Brien in 1951 at the AAU meet in Berkley yet he appeared in the 1967 program of this meet.

Comment

7246 on Thursday
      11,600 on Friday

(how's that for strange scheduling?!)

Comment

Thanks bigfish and GH. My memory is that Ryun's race was at night...presumably all or most of Friday's events were held at night? Yes, this was 36 years ago, and I (and Pete Rose) would wager big money that it will take AT LEAST another 36 years for an American to break the mile/1500 WR record on American soil.

Comment

old news - but Ryun's race is available ('downloadable')on the net. About average quality, but worth it if you are a fan.

Comment

Dear M FISH , maybe I M CONFUSED .WHO was 2nd Essex guy. MURRO?

Comment

Dear M FISH , maybe I M CONFUSED .WHO was 2nd Essex guy. MURRO?

Comment

Mark Murro & Marty Liquori were the two Essex HS boys. To Gary Hill: Only you would know the attendance of a meet 36 years ago!!!!!!

Comment

re Davenport's '66AAU time - I thought it was 13.50 (120y - =13.54c/110m). Was it 13.44? (and it was with -1.5w, on cinder track!!)

Comment

>re Davenport's '66AAU time - I thought it was 13.50 (120y - =13.54c/110m). Was
                    >it 13.44? (and it was with -1.5w, on cinder track!!)

It was 13.44 for 120y, according to the Hymans WR progression and the Mallon/Buchanan US Nat'l Champs book. The wind was -1.3 miles-per-hour (-1.34 actually).

My guess is that the 13.44 has been converted once to 13.47, then marked as 13.47y leading some to think it was 13.47 for 120y and equivalent to 13.50, and on, and on, and on. Similar to Jim Dunaway's contention that using a variety of conversion tables would manage to get Uwe Hohn's WR 104.80 converted and re-converted down to nothing.

Comment

>Mark Murro & Marty Liquori were the two Essex HS boys. To Gary Hill: Only you
                      >would know the attendance of a meet 36 years ago!!!!!!>>

Hardly! I just happened to be the one who had the reference materials closest at hand.

Comment

Just digging up this old thread to ask if there were official en route 1500m splits in the mile race? If so, does anybody know what Liquori's 1500m time was?

Thanks.

Comment

No time was taken for 1,500 meters in that 1967 AAU mile, however I have heard guesses around 3:37.0. Ryun's last lap was 53.7! His final two laps were 1:52.2! His last three laps were 2:52.1!
                          Jim Grelle (who was second in 3:56.1) had a great quote after the race: "Everybody in the race was a kid, but me."

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                            No time was taken for 1,500 meters in that 1967 AAU mile, however I have heard guesses around 3:37.0. Ryun's last lap was 53.7! His final two laps were 1:52.2! His last three laps were 2:52.1!
                            Jim Grelle (who was second in 3:56.1) had a great quote after the race: "Everybody in the race was a kid, but me."
                            Thanks for the response.

I have to ask who the estimated 3:37.0 split is for? Given their final mile times in that race, it seems too slow for Ryun and too fast for Liqouri.

Comment

Ryun. Some say he finished in about 14 seconds.

Comment

I just watched this race on Youtube - seeing it for the first time since the original broadcast. Was that Jim Beatty doing commentary?

Other than Bayi, has anyone else ever run this fast (or the equivalent 1500) while leading start to finish?

Comment

Working...
                                X