Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: 1967 AAU Championships-Bakersfield Trivia

old news - but Ryun's race is available ('downloadable')on the net. About average quality, but worth it if you are a fan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks bigfish and GH. My memory is that Ryun's race was at night...presumably all or most of Friday's events were held at night? Yes, this was 36 years ago, and I (and Pete Rose) would wager big money that it will take AT LEAST another 36 years for an American to break the mile/1500 WR record on American soil.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

7246 on Thursday
    11,600 on Friday

(how's that for strange scheduling?!)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

To: kuha1. First I think the attendance was about 8,000 folks. What I remember most was the wide range of high quality marks in addition to the two world's records. 220-Tommy Smith 20.4, 440-Lee Evans 45.3, 880-Wade Bell 1.46.1, Shot-Randy Matson 66'11". Remember this meet was 36 years ago. In the mile Ryan won by a ton at 3.51.1 over Jim Grelle at 3.56.1. There were 7 milers under 4 minutes. One longevity note. I first saw Parry O'Brien in 1951 at the AAU meet in Berkley yet he appeared in the 1967 program of this meet.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

>Had there been auto timing, I'll bet Willie Davenport would've had an 'auto' WR
    >at that meet. It was all murky at that time - the 'real' WR wasn't certain
    >until '68 Oly. (auto..)

That's a 50-50 bet, at best. The auto "wr" at the time was from the AAU the year before at Randall's Island. Davenport ran the 120H in 13.3, with the Bulova showing 13.44.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Had there been auto timing, I'll bet Willie Davenport would've had an 'auto' WR at that meet. It was all murky at that time - the 'real' WR wasn't certain until '68 Oly. (auto..)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

To the two gentlemen who actually attended this meet (I wish I could have seen it!)...what do remember about it all? Was there a large attendance? Was there great excitement leading up to the mile? Was it assumed that this race would be a WR attempt? Etc. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Conor, You are right! Danielson graduated from Chula Vista HS in 1966. The results in the program listed him from Chula Vista HS.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

While Danielson was in that race I don't think he was still in high school. Ed Dean was 10th in 4:04, was he a high schooler then?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Jim,

I too attended the meet. You got all the right answers except the other high school miler was Tim Danielson from Chula Vista High School

Leave a comment:

• hjsteve1.97
    replied

>How nice you weren't around; for once some other people actually got a chance
    >to play.

I am always thoughtful and considerate of others. And of course there's always those impediments such as job/career, spouse/home, other interests, etc.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How nice you weren't around; for once some other people actually got a chance to play.

Leave a comment:

• stevehj197
    replied

doggone it, not that anyone cares/believes but me, but I knew all that stuff, but even a dweeb like me cannot be hovered waiting for every question 24 hours a day !

Leave a comment:

• Jim Rorick
    replied

I was at this meet. Interestingly enough, both the Essex HS athletes (Liquori and Murro) placed 7th. The other world record was Paul Wilson's 17'8" in the pole vault. From my memory, there was not a 2nd HS athlete in the mile final. A 4:01.8 would have been quite newsworthy in those days (still is).

Leave a comment:

• EastBayprepoftheweek67
    replied

Jim Ryun beat his own mile record with 3:51.1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X