Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1967 AAU Championships-Bakersfield Trivia

Yes, that was Jim Beatty who still follows track and field very closely at the age of 75. Not sure if anyone ran that fast from start to finish. Ryun's finishing speed was amazing.

Comment

To Conar Dary. Ed Dean was out of high school by 1967. I was at the 1966 NYAC indoor meet and saw him, running for Notre Dame, set out with a fast pace. Ryun and Grelle didn't pay any attention to him and at one point he had about a 70 yard lead before they reeled him in. Ryun got the jump on Grelle passsing someone (was Odlozil in the race ? this is all from memory). They both ran 4:02.2.
      Danielsen's only sub 4:00 was in 1966. I just cheated and took out my July, 1967 issue and report the 1967 results as: Ryun 3:51.1; Grelle 3:56.1 (I think it was his last sub4); Wilborn 3:56.2; Von Ruden 3:56.9; Divine 3:57.2; Bair 3:58.7; Liquori 3:59.8; Danielson 4:00.6; McCalla 4:00.6; and Dean 4:04.5.

Comment

Jim Rorick wrote:
        "From my memory, there was not a 2nd HS athlete in the mile final. A 4:01.8 would have been quite newsworthy in those days (still is)."

Liquori's 3:59.8 got one line in Cordner Nelson's T&F News article, so I don't think a 4:01.8 would have been mentioned(if it had happened). With three sub-4 prep milers in 4 years (Ryun-64/65, Danielson-66, Liquori-67), I'm sure the feeling was that there would be a lot more on the way. Little did we know at the time that it would be 34 years before Webb would become the 4th HS'er to break 4-minutes. I was at the meet and the thing I remember is the legendary Bakersfield heat during the day.

Comment

Walt...interesting comment...who would have thought that after those 3 there would still not be 3 more over 42 years later!

Comment

Working...
          X