Steers First Over 7 Feet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steers First Over 7 Feet?

I have read in a couple of places that Lester Steers jumped more than 7 feet in the high jump in 1941 in two "unsanctioned" meets. This was from a German publication I found on Google. I also read in a Joe Faust post that recently deceased Charlie Dumas was the first to "officially" clear 7 feet.

Any comments?

Re: Steers First Over 7 Feet?

See my comments on the "Best Practice/exhibition Marks" thread...

Comment

>See my comments on the "Best Practice/exhibition Marks" thread...<

Which is on the Historical Board, which is where this question should have been posted. Something that happened in 1941 is not exactly a current event.

Comment

Steers jumped 7-1/2 in Eugene on February 27, 1941. The date should give you a bit of a clue. It was an exhibition, I think during a basketball game. I suspect the floor was one of those "sprung" ones that gave a few extra inches (the kind I could dunk from).

Comment

A 'sprung' basketball floor? I'd like to know the surface, if anybody alive remembers (...for a book I'm doing ..which won't be 'done' for another
          few years, if ever)

Comment

check out Maples pavilion on the stanford campus.

Comment

enter the term "sprung floor" for lots of citations, including this FAQ

http://www.sprungfloors.com/s.cgi?faq-001

Comment

"sprung floor" courts I played on back in the day were always said to have a 6-inch layer of horsehair between the flooring and the base

Comment

Horsefeathers!

Comment

Only a Californian would say Mac Court is full of horsehair!

C.D. U of O '78

Comment

>>See my comments on the "Best Practice/exhibition Marks" thread...<

Which
                      >is on the Historical Board, which is where this question should have been
                      >posted. Something that happened in 1941 is not exactly a current event.

This IS the historical board....

Comment

>>>This IS the historical board....<<

It wasn't here originally. The webmeister must have moved it.

Comment

Somebody out there must have access to the files of the Oregonian or the Eugene Register (as I think it then was). I've always understood Steers' jump was at half time of a basketball game, as gh says, but that must be based on my recollection of a story in the SF Chronicle. I'd love to see verification and a description of the exhibition. He also jumped 6-10 on February 14, same place.

Comment

I know somebody who lives in Eugene and I am going to ask them to go to the library and see what they can find.

Comment

Right. You'd have to think that the next day's local paper would have lots of info on the event.

Comment

Working...
                              X