Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a GOAT forum for all events?

One pf my favorite things here is to read the GOAT debates if only because they bring up so much "obscure" information. It might be nice to make a (temporary?) forum dedicated to thrashing out the GOAT in EVERY event (men, women, even - gasp - racewalkers) and see what happens? Make a topic/heading in the forum for each event that can be added to, but no new topics allowed.

Just a thought.

Great idea but can we do it in the autumn when we've got nothing else to talk about?

Comment

I like the idea...greatest/best ever always spark good debate

Comment

I'm with Flumpy on this one. There's too much else to think about and post about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          I'm with Flumpy on this one. There's too much else to think about and post about right now.
          I've got quite a few all-time lists of my own; indoors and out, both world and U.S., which I began in 1999. I separated them by greatest of all time 2000 and before, and greatest of all time including everything since 2000. My GOAT lists nearly became a mess, after having to knock Marion down several spots or out of my top 10s entirely, even with her 1997-99 seasons intact.

Comment

I'd love to see your lists.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerrclay
              I'd love to see your lists.
              Some of my events are incomplete. I haven't had time to do a thorough-enough research on them, and as a result they are perhaps 7 or 8 deep, like the women's pole vault.

Marion was as high as 4th on my world 100 list, until she sang. She's off that list now, and when last I rewrote my U.S. list, I bumped her from 3rd to 8th. If any more details come around to put her 1997-99 stats (her best years) in real jeopardy, she'll be off every 100/200 list entirely.

Comment

BUMP.
                Any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by racewalker
                  BUMP.
                  Any takers?
                  i'm up for it :-)
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

what the heck. For a single event: Bubka. For multiple events: Carl Lewis. I put a heavy weight on longevity at the top of one's event(s).

Comment

If this is going to be done in any readable and easy-to-follow fashion, allow me to suggest that each event get its own thread, or it will quickly become a morass.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        If this is going to be done in any readable and easy-to-follow fashion, allow me to suggest that each event get its own thread, or it will quickly become a morass.
                        Yes, that was the idea. Also, I though that it would be good to have this in it's own forum at the level of "Historical" and the like. Further, if possible, it would be good to not allow any new topics beyond the one for each event.

Comment

Nah, we don't need another forum.

Indeed, if the idea gets up and running, since we're in the slow season I'd probably consider running the events, at least to begin with, in Current Events, where they'd see the light of day. A surprising number of people visit that forum and no others.

Comment

Working...
                          X