Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Am I...? (number 3)

I share my first name with an American high-hurdler with two Olympic medals.

I set a national record in my event over 20 years ago.

I won my national championships 4 times indoors, yet never won them outdoors.

My personal best was the exact same time/mark/distance as the winning time/mark/distance from the 2003 national champs of the same country.

Who am I?

Re: Who Am I...? (number 3)

well I've got it narrowed down to 6 first names... a lot of good that does...

Comment

OK, here's another clue:

The nationality of this athlete is/was British (just like my previous two "Who Am I" things).

Comment

oh jon your questions are toooooo haaaaaaard....

Comment

Mark Naylor?

Comment

>Mark Naylor?

YES!!! Our very own - marknhj!!!

(Stevehj197 - I know this was a bit too tough... just thought it would be fun to see who'd be the first to recognise another forum member as an answer to a trivia question!).

Comment

>>Mark Naylor?

YES!!! Our very own - marknhj!!!

(Stevehj197 - I
              >know this was a bit too tough... just thought it would be fun to see who'd be
              >the first to recognise another forum member as an answer to a trivia
              >question!).

you may not believe me, but the thought had inndeed occurred to me, since "Mark" was one of the 6 possible names ( from Crear). I was going to go look at some T&FN's do do some research but I was beaten to it.

CONGRATS MARK. I knew you were good but did know you had a NR... 2.24 was it ?

Comment

Yup, 2.24.

And yes, congrats are in order to Mark.

Comment

LOL!

Yep...I was lucky in that we were historically crap in the HJ. I think I mentioned in the PR thread that I actually jumped 2.25 in 1980 but the remeasurement came out at 2.2475, bloody annoying. I'd forgotten that I'd never won the AAA's...thanks Jon...but our national champs were open to other nationalities so I was beaten by a combo of Americans/Germans/Poles etc.

IMHO Steve Smith of the UK could have been one of the all-time greats in the HJ...injuries didn't make it happen though, what a shame.

Comment

Hey Mark don't be too hard on yourself. You beat two Russians out of three in the Olympics in their own ballpark in '80 + you almost had Grigoryev as well.

Comment

Here's an example of our twisted Brit sense of humo(u)r...part of an email reply from Jon when I realiz(s)ed it was me...

"LOL!
                      I was hoping that you'd completely overlook yourself and start trawling
                      through some obscure marks of American athletes!"

Comment

>Here's an example of our twisted Brit sense of humo(u)r...part of an email
                        >reply from Jon when I realiz(s)ed it was me...

"LOL!
                        I was hoping that
                        >you'd completely overlook yourself and start trawling
                        through some obscure
                        >marks of American athletes!"

Hehehe!

Well, to be fair, they are some pretty obscure clues! And the clue about the American hurdler was intended to make people sub-conscously think about American athletes, as opposed to British ones!

Comment

Actually, the part about the American hurdler made me think completely otherwise. The train of thought being "why would he have specifically mentioned an 'American' hurdler, except to allude to the fact that the answer was otherwise.

Of course maybe i'm just weird.

Comment

>Of course maybe i'm just weird.<

In case you hadn't noticed, we all are.

Comment

Working...
                            X