Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA 4x4 Trivia Question

Who is the only man to run on four straight NCAA 4x4 winners? (Nobody has done it in the 4x1).

And what other unique fact was there about his feat?

Re: NCAA 4x4 Trivia Question

gotta be one of the UCLA guys, but without cheating I would just be guessing.... so I will make my one and only guess at John Smith.

Comment

And my guess as to the unique fact would be that the guy ran a different leg each year. I vaguely remember this when it happened, but if it's a UCLA guy of that era (and I think Steve is right about that)it was a while ago.

Comment

>And my guess as to the unique fact would be that the guy ran a different leg
        >each year. I vaguely remember this when it happened, but if it's a UCLA guy of
        >that era (and I think Steve is right about that)it was a while ago.

Since tandfman did not offer another UCLA name, my back up name would be Wayne Collett. Dollars to donuts it's either Smith or Collett.

Comment

I would guess Maurice Peoples.

Comment

>>Dollars to donuts it's either Smith or Collett.<

With those odds, I'll put a donut on Henry Thomas.

Yes, I know. Different era.

Comment

heck, I have never even heard of Henry Thomas.

Comment

Yes, John Smith, and he indeed ran a different leg each year: leadoff as a frosh, second as a soph, third as a junior, anchor as a senior. And he ran faster each year (46.7, 45.3, 44.8, 44.7).

That was clearly too easy. Amazingly enough, there's only two guys who have run on three winning 4x4s. Who are they? (not a trick question where Smith is one of the answers)

Comment

>heck, I have never even heard of Henry Thomas.<

Well, you've probably heard of his relay teammates, Steve Lewis, Danny Everett, and Kevin Young.

Comment

>>heck, I have never even heard of Henry Thomas.<

Well, you've probably heard
                    >of his relay teammates, Steve Lewis, Danny Everett, and Kevin Young.

Well, every trio of 3 superstars needs a fourth. Lost in the shuffle, at least with me. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

And Thomas good enough to be the anchor on the Lewis-Young-Everett collegiate record sub-3:00 team!

Comment

>Yes, John Smith, and he indeed ran a different leg each year: leadoff as a
                        >frosh, second as a soph, third as a junior, anchor as a senior. And he ran
                        >faster each year (46.7, 45.3, 44.8, 44.7).

That was clearly too easy.
                        >Amazingly enough, there's only two guys who have run on three winning 4x4s. Who
                        >are they? (not a trick question where Smith is one of the answers)

well since I got the first question right, I will stick with Collett as my answer here for one of these other two. Time for others;I offer no more names.

Comment

The University of Tennesse won 2 or three 4x400 titles from 77' to 80', however because of injuries there were roster changes.

Comment

Tennesse had a great run between '76 and '81, finishing 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 1st, 1st.

Who was the two guys who were on four teams each? Hint: they overlapped for two (so between them they were on all six of the scoring teams in that period).

Comment

>> I will stick with
                              >Collett as my answer here for one of these other two. Time for others;I offer
                              >no more names.>>

Yes, Collett was a 3-time winner: who's the other? Hint: he ran w/ Smith but not Collett.

Comment

Working...
                              X