Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Street Boys

This is not a trivia question.. it's an inquiry:

All the talk of the "old" Madison Square Garden and indoor track in the "old days" got me to thinking half-remembering a short-lived small track group, in the 1950's, called The Grand Street Boys. Think it had some big hitters, all black. NYAC was all white of course and I don't know if the NY Pioneers were around yet. Any NY old timers that can add information about The Grand Street Boys ?

Re: Grand Street Boys

How does a relay team with Herb McKenley, andy Stanfield, George Rhode, and Mal Whitfield sound? That was the Grand Street Boys team for a season or two back in the early '50's.

Comment

Rhoden, not Rhode. Typo. Sorry.

(Rhods is an island, and we know that no man is an island.)

Comment

now THAT'S what I would call a relay team! They were GRAND all right.

Thanks for the info. I would bet they set, or could have set, an indoor WR in the mile relay without hardly trying..any info on that ?

Comment

>Thanks for the info. I would bet they set, or could have set, an indoor WR in the mile relay without hardly trying..any info on that ?<

I think they did, but the details are more than 50 years old and is buried too far in the recesses of my brain to retrieve easily. I can look it up when I get home. (But then again, you probably can too.)

I do remember seeing them in the old Garden. They were very, very impressive. Whitfield was the greatest!

Comment

>>Thanks for the info. I would bet they set, or could have set, an indoor WR in
            >the mile relay without hardly trying..any info on that ?<

I think they did,
            >but the details are more than 50 years old and is buried too far in the
            >recesses of my brain to retrieve easily. I can look it up when I get home.
            >(But then again, you probably can too.)

I do remember seeing them in the
            >old Garden. They were very, very impressive. Whitfield was the greatest!

you're jogging my own memory ever-so-slightly.... I've got a 3:14-plus IWR rattling around in my head.....

Comment

First sub-3:20 indoors is 3:17.8 by Penn in '31 (our very own Bill Carr anchoring!). From there through end of '50s:

3:17.2 Georgetown '42
              3:16.9 New York Pioneers '57
              3:16.0 Villanova '57
              3:15.7 New York Pioneers '57

The last two were made on the same day, March 16; Villanova in Chicago, NYPC in NYC.

Comment

>First sub-3:20 indoors is 3:17.8 by Penn in '31 (our very own Bill Carr
                >anchoring!). From there through end of '50s:

3:16.9
                >New York Pioneers '57
                3:15.7 New York Pioneers
                >'57

The last two were made on the same day, March 16; Villanova in Chicago,
                >NYPC in NYC.

>First sub-3:20 indoors is 3:17.8 by Penn in '31 (our very own Bill Carr
                >anchoring!). From there through end of '50s:

>New York Pioneers '57
                >'57

The last two were made on the same day, March 16; Villanova in Chicago,
                >NYPC in NYC.

So I guess my Grand Street Boys' "3:14plus" is just a figment of my imagination, but I'll read up on it all just the same. Thanks for the input Garry.

Comment

>New York Pioneers '57
                  >'57
                  =========
                  Trying to guess some of the runners on these teams:
                  Georgetown--Hugh Short?
                  NYPC--Reggie Pearman (he stuck around a long time)
                  Villanova--Charlie Jenkins anchor, Charlie Stead?, Ron Delany (surprisingly ran a leg on mile relays with some frequency)?, Ed Collymore?

Comment

>3:17.2 Georgetown '42
                    >New York Pioneers '57
                    3:16.0 Villanova
                    >'57
                    >'57
                    =========
                    Trying to guess some of the
                    >runners on these teams:
                    Georgetown--Hugh Short?
                    NYPC--Reggie Pearman (he
                    >stuck around a long time)
                    Villanova--Charlie Jenkins anchor, Charlie Stead?,
                    >Ron Delany (surprisingly ran a leg on mile relays with some frequency)?, Ed
                    >Collymore?

Hey Satch, do you perhaps know any of those 50's NY Pioneer guys ? ( And do not say Dick Whitman, he was in the 60's. And THAT last name is a trivia name for anyone else out there other than Satch. )

Comment

>>So I guess my Grand Street Boys' "3:14plus" is just a figment of my imagination,<

I'm not so sure. On March 21, 1953, the GSB ran 3:14.4 in Buffalo. I think it was recognized by the AAU at that time. It obviously couldn't have been an American Record because two of the legs were Jamaicans. And it couldn't have been a World Record because they had no World Indoor Records at the time. (And it couldn't today because of the mixed citizenship.) But it did happen. (No, I wasn't there.)

Comment

>>>So I guess my Grand Street Boys' "3:14plus" is just a figment of my
                        >imagination,<

I'm not so sure. On March 21, 1953, the GSB ran 3:14.4 in
                        >Buffalo. I think it was recognized by the AAU at that time. It obviously
                        >couldn't have been an American Record because two of the legs were Jamaicans.
                        >And it couldn't have been a World Record because they had no World Indoor
                        >Records at the time. (And it couldn't today because of the mixed
                        >citizenship.) But it did happen. (No, I wasn't there.)

hey thanks, that's great info, maybe I still have a brain after all. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry for misleading you with my brainfart; didn't even stop to think that if I looked in an IAAF publication it would list only the "acceptable" WRs.

Comment

I think CHAS, STEAD WAS ALSO GOOD HJER . Collymore was great 2oo guy ,think NCAA champ.STAR for NOVA was FRANK BUDD.

Comment

I remember GSB's Charlie Mays - and his close(1"?) foul of c.28'3 at '68 OG. Anyone recall if that jump was before Beamon's? If so, musta been frustrating to be so close being history's first 28-footer (especially since the rest of his LJ career was 'real good' but never 'historic'. And he was about 5'9? or less?

Comment

Working...
                              X