Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinters and Their Times

Here we go again: What sprinter achieved two world records in one race of 100 meters?

Re: Sprinters and Their Times

I'm probably wrong, but I recall reading about Paddock breaking 2 records in one short sprint race. I can't remember if the race was 100m or 110yards though.
    http://www.ScienceofRunning.com

Comment

>I'm probably wrong, but I recall reading about Paddock breaking 2 records in
      >one short sprint race. I can't remember if the race was 100m or 110yards
      >though.

I remember that too, and it was 110 yards, but since that itself is slightly less than 100 meters, that can't be what he's looking for.

P.S. Nice to see postings by " elites" such as you Steve.... good luck this season.

Comment

A collegiate frosh miler who knows of and about Charley Paddock!!! Mr. Magness, you are awesome. Now if only the sport had more involved athletes such as yourself.

By the way, your answer is sooo close to right.

Comment

This doesn't seem to gell with gh's last post but didn't Mo either equal or beat his indoor 60m. WR en route to his 100m. WR?

Comment

Must be Fatty Paddock 100 yds on way to 100 meters but dont know meet or times MR BUT R MILK.

Comment

>Must be Fatty Paddock 100 yds on way to 100 meters but dont know meet or times
              >MR BUT R MILK.

Buried somewhere in Max Stiles' "Back Track" ( recently reproduced on T&FN website; thank you !!! ) was a Max column on Paddock, where he used a classic phrase, saying Paddock was "plainly fat."

Comment

Paddock set a WR of sorts at 110y on June 18, 1921 at Pasadena. His 10.2 was not accepted as an IAAF record due to the fact that it was 110y, not 100m (even though 110y is further than 100m). His 9.6 en route also was not accepted as an official record according to my sources. The 0.6 split for the last 10y raised some questions about legitimacy, but the watches in use only measured to a fifth of a second, leaving the possibility that he ran as fast as 9.5 for 100y.

Comment

>>I'm probably wrong, but I recall reading about Paddock breaking 2 records
                  >in
                  >one short sprint race. I can't remember if the race was 100m or
                  >110yards
                  >though.

I remember that too, and it was 110 yards, but since that
                  >itself is slightly less than 100 meters, that can't be what he's looking
                  >for.

P.S. Nice to see postings by " elites" such as you Steve.... good
                  >luck this season.

Obviously I did not major in math !! 110 yards is slightly MORE than 100 meters. So a time at 110 yards could legitimately be used for 100 meters as well.

Comment

>>Buried somewhere in Max Stiles' "Back Track" (recently reproduced on T&FN website; thank you !!! ) was a Max column on Paddock, where he used a classic phrase, saying Paddock as "plainly fat."<<

I'm not sure this is the same piece, but it is about Paddock and it does have the answer to the question.
                    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/genera ... ack/1.html

Comment

>>>Buried somewhere in Max Stiles' "Back Track" (recently reproduced on T&FN
                      >website; thank you !!! ) was a Max column on Paddock, where he used a classic
                      >phrase, saying Paddock as "plainly fat."<<

I'm not sure this is the same
                      >piece, but it is about Paddock and it does have the answer to the question.

>http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/gen...k_track/1.html

I have not double checked yet... going on mucho years' memory... but I think Max has another Paddock piece in the book somewhere that has the "plainly fat" phrase. I'll take a look if I can remember to do so.

Comment

>>> I think Max has another Paddock piece in the book somewhere that has the "plainly fat" phrase. I'll take a look if I can remember to do so.<<

Here it is:
                        http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/genera ... ack/2.html

Comment

>>>> I think Max has another Paddock piece in the book somewhere that has the
                          >"plainly fat" phrase. I'll take a look if I can remember to do so.<<

Here
                          >it is:
                          http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/genera ... ack/2.html

Thanks for pulling that up ! I half-remembered that "plainly fat" phrase from a million years ago, and I bet satch did too... it was his comments that made it come back into my mind!

Plus that article completely answers the trivia question too I think.

Comment

You are very close. The race was not in Pasadena, however it was in Southern California in 1921. Anyone know which city and his two world records? Keep trying.

Comment

Why don't you just give it away?

Redlands, CA, 23 April 1921. 100y, 9.6; 100m, 10.4. Both approved by the IAAF. Simple enough to look up: http://trackfield.brinkster.net/RecProg ... R&Gender=M

Comment

Working...
                              X