Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic 1500 Trivia

In the last 4 editions of the OG ('88, '92, '96, '00), four U.S. men have made the 1500 final. Name them.

Re: Olympic 1500 Trivia

McMullen and Pyrah i know.........Spivey in '92? I'm too lazy to look this up so i'll just go with those guesses for now.

Comment

Oh duh, Steve Scott.

There, that makes 4.

Comment

And just for the heck of it, if you want it in order, it's Scott, Spivey, McMullen, Pyrah.

I'm bored.

Comment

bored.... and wrong: does it get any worse than that? :-)

You got 3/4.

Comment

Ah yes, McMullen did not indeed make it out of the semis. Why do i have it in my mind that he did for sure? Weird.

Oh well, must be Jeff Atkinson in '88. The listing of all 4 Olympics threw me off and made me think there was one from each edition.

Comment

I'm amazed! One of the most popular of events and it's all recent-events (in the trivia world) and only one of you even tried to play?!

Nonethless, let me ask a harder one: who are the 5 Americans who have been in two Olympic 1500 finals? Couple of clues: the question spans 88 years and one of the guys didn't do his in consecutive Games.

Comment

James Lightbody--1904 & 1906 (gold both times)

Glenn Cunningham--1932 (4th) & 1936 (silver)

Dyrol Burleson--1960 & 1964

Steve Scott--1984 & 1988

Jim Spivey--1984 & 1992

Lightbody should have been in the final in 1908, but he got shut out when only the winner of each heat was taken to the final. I can't recall whether he was beaten for 1st in his heat or just didn't realize that only the winner moved on.

And I've always thought that, were it not for the injury that relegated him to 4th in the Trials, Spivey could have won the OG in 1988.

Comment

T&FN never recognizes the Intercalated Olympics of 1906 in calculating trivia, etc., so you lose Lightbody, meaning there's somebody else.

Comment

Philly boy, Mel Sheppard.

Comment

Every Olympics at least one American seems to make the finals. Lets hope this trend continues.

Comment

Working...
                      X