Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armin Hary question

Which U.S. university did Armin Hary attend (briefly) ??

Re: Armin Hary question

Houston

Comment

interesting... never heard about this. assuming no one else comes forth with an answer I will look forward to per telling us !

Comment

A funny (I think) anecdote. When I was in high school in the mid-1960s, our track coach taught sprinters to start like Hary--at the time, of course, the fastest starter ever seen. For whatever reason, however, his name got twisted around and we called it the "Hairy Arm" start. I've forgotten all my French and algebra from those years, but this "knowledge" will be with me forever.

Comment

It was on the West coast.

Comment

Hary attended San Jose State for a very brief period in 1959. I'm not 100% sure on the year but I doubt it was '58 or '60.

Comment

never ran couldnt find his way

Comment

>Hary attended San Jose State for a very brief period in 1959. I'm not 100%
                >sure on the year but I doubt it was '58 or '60.

To what extent, if any, did he ever set foot on the track while there ? Did he ever even compete in a meet for them( doubtful) or was he only there a few weeks or something like that ? Would love to know.

Comment

>>Hary attended San Jose State for a very brief period in 1959. I'm not
                  >100%
                  >sure on the year but I doubt it was '58 or '60.

To what extent, if
                  >any, did he ever set foot on the track while there ? Did he ever even compete
                  >in a meet for them( doubtful) or was he only there a few weeks or something
                  >like that ? Would love to know.
                  SEE above DIONNE WARWICK A fertig bang affair!

Comment

The whole thing is a bit vague. What I remember from T&FN is that he was supposed to go to UC Santa Barbara but that was changed to San Jose. I don't think he can have stayed more than weeks.
                    However, If you "google" Harmin Hary (Don't ask why the H) You will find a long posting about Hary in Italian. Scroll down to the picture of Hary and Owens in starting position. The heading there says L'esperienza negli Stati Uniti. (experiences in the U.S.) There San Jose is mentioned as the old school of Ray Norton and Hary was apparently disillusioned quickly and went back to Germany although he claimed to have learned things.
                    My daughter speaks and reads Italian and helped me with this as the google translation is next to hopeless.
                    But the article seems very interesting.
                    Who knows maybe SATCH is right.

Comment

TV show HOGANS HEROES made him homesick DISMISSED

Comment

I remember, when I was about 13 years old, reading something about Hary briefly attending Bakersfield JC enroute to San Jose State. As noted above, this was before 1960. Bakersfield was then quite a recruting magnet because of its great facility (as was Mt. SAC). Dennis Johnson enrolled soon after that at Bakersfield.

Comment

From the April 1960 T&FN, On Your Marks column by Hal Bateman (and no, I didn't go looking for this, just came across it while researching something else last night):

"Armin Hary, the European 100-meters champion from Germany, has returned to his native country after attending Bakersfield, Calif., J.C. for a short time."

Comment

Armin Hary Question

On 18 Aug '59, Hary flew (Dusseldorf-Amsterdam-NY-L.A.-Bakersfield) to the U.S. for an operation on his knee and subsequently spent three weeks in a clinic. On 28 Jan '60 he flew back, to Frankfurt (and then his home in the Saarland, Gersweiler). He had competed in the '58 and '59 indoor campaign but didn't in '60, protecting that knee. He felt pain in the knee after the Rome 100 and that's why he didn't compete in the 200. By the time the 4X100 rolled around, his knee felt better but just to be sure, he ran the second leg where he wouldn't have to run on a turn. In late '60, he was in Berlin for some reason and was involved in an auto accident where he re-injured that troublesome knee. On 7 Jan '61, he was banned for one year by the Hessen Province when he was found guilty of giving a false statement over his expenses (I believe) to a council board in Frankfurt. That was the end of his career, at age 23. He was in attendance at the Tokyo Games.

Comment

Re: Armin Hary Question

Originally posted by Bauchwalzer
                              That was the end of his career, at age 23. He was in attendance at the Tokyo Games.
                              if he'd carried on, & ran the tokyo 100, he'd still only have been in attendance

Comment

Working...
                              X