X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armin Hary Question

Originally posted by eldrick
    Originally posted by Bauchwalzer
    That was the end of his career, at age 23. He was in attendance at the Tokyo Games.
    if he'd carried on, & ran the tokyo 100, he'd still only have been in attendance
    surprized to find Eldy delusional on this one. Hary in form would likely have picked up two silvers. While never besting the americans by much he always seemed to beat the europeans by alot (Radford excluding).
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Hary would have done very well in Tokyo---just like Graddy in LA or
      Thompson in Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
        That was the end of his career, at age 23. He was in attendance at the Tokyo Games.
        if he'd carried on, & ran the tokyo 100, he'd still only have been in attendance
        surprized to find Eldy delusional on this one. Hary in form would likely have picked up two silvers. While never besting the americans by much he always seemed to beat the europeans by alot (Radford excluding).
        Maybe a bronze in the 100 - I don't think he could have beaten Jerome by 1964, even if he was in form. In the 200, he didn't have much of a record - I don't see him medalling in that race. At any rate, even at his best, he was not in Hayes' or Carr's class.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729
          Maybe a bronze in the 100 - I don't think he could have beaten Jerome by 1964, even if he was in form. In the 200, he didn't have much of a record - I don't see him medalling in that race. At any rate, even at his best, he was not in Hayes' or Carr's class.
          I don't think Jerome was at the top of his game in 1964. Hary in 1960 shape gets Silver.

Comment

At any rate, even at his best, he was not in Hayes' or Carr's class.
            carr never gets enough respect

he ran 20.36wr on dirt

if conversion to synthetic of ~ 1s/lap is ballpark, then we are talking ~ 19.86 on a synthetic

call it 20-flat

not far off hayes class in his own speciality of 200 & if he'd stayed on 'til '68, then on this basis he'd have given tommie all the trouble he coud ever ask for

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
              I don't think Jerome was at the top of his game in 1964. Hary in 1960 shape gets Silver.
              Jerome got the bronze in Tokyo, Figuerola the silver. The latter was a good runner, placing 4th in the Rome Oly. Jerome was at his best perhaps only up to mid 1962. Running against Antao in Perth in 1962, and suffering an injury, I believe Jerome was never quite the same runner again.

Comment

Armin Hary Question

Actutally, Harry Jerome was the grand absentee from the Rome final (along with Charlie Tidwell who went down in the FOT). Co-world record holder in the 100, he could have beaten Hary had he not gone down in the semis with a pull. As for him not being at his best after '62, the facts prove otherwise. He came back from his injury in the '62 BEG to run 6.0 indoors in '64 (which would have tied the WR but Hayes ran 5.9 that year but maybe not before Jerome's 6.0) and went 9.3, 10.1 and 20.4 outdoors, won the NCAA 100 and placed 3rd and 4th at Tokyo. In '65 he ran 9.3 and in '66 ran 5.2 indoors (a tenth off the WR) and 9.1 and 20.1 outdoors and won the BEG 100. In '67, he ran 6.0 indoors, 10.1 outdoors and won the Pan Am Games 100. In '68, aged 29+ he made the OG final, placing 7th.

Comment

Actutally, Harry Jerome was the grand absentee from the Rome final (along with Charlie Tidwell who went down in the FOT). Co-world record holder in the 100, he could have beaten Hary had he not gone down in the semis with a pull. As for him not being at his best after '62, the facts prove otherwise. He came back from his injury in the '62 BEG to run 6.0 indoors in '64 (which would have tied the WR but Hayes ran 5.9 that year but maybe not before Jerome's 6.0) and went 9.3, 10.1 and 20.4 outdoors, won the NCAA 100 and placed 3rd and 4th at Tokyo. In '65 he ran 9.3 and in '66 ran 5.2 indoors (a tenth off the WR) and 9.1 and 20.1 outdoors and won the BEG 100. In '67, he ran 6.0 indoors, 10.1 outdoors and won the Pan Am Games 100. In '68, aged 29+ he made the OG final, placing 7th.
                  Jerome's general greatness in the 100 and his longevity is not being questioned. Was he the same runner after fall of 1962 and the Perth events? I would tend to discount his 9.1y and 20.4(y) - not 20.1 - from 1966 as set on "home base" in the Canadian Championships. His next best in each event for 1966 was 0.3 slower in both the 100 and 200. In the BEG in 66, Tom Robinson almost caught him in the 100 after a bad start (Jesse Owens reportedly called it the greatest sprint finish he had seen - not bad since Jesse often ran against Ralph Metcalfe!). A fit Jerome and/or Tidwell could have led to different results in Rome. Hary with his bullet start had most of the competition psyched out before the start of the final.

Comment

Working...
                  X