Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Lewis 30ft Long Jump

I've heard different rumors/reports that King Carl once had a fouled long jump that was measured at over 30 feet. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this, or when/where it happened?

Re: Carl Lewis 30ft Long Jump

1982 Sports Festival in Indianapolis. He didn't leave a mark on the plasticine, but the official ruled his foot was over the board anyway. (Have heard some say the plasticine wasn't properly installed, leading to the non-marking.)

Lewis told a reporter he thought it was 30-2 (9.19) and fellow competitor Jason Grimes said "It was definitely 30 feet"

Comment

Anyone have that jump on video?? That's one I'd pay to have a copy of.

Comment

I once saw Tom Tellez at a clinic speaking on the LJ. He showed many clips of Carl Lewis. He showed one particular clip in which Lewis, at mid flight, was approx. 18" higher than his norm. Tellez showed this jump superimposed on the screen against other 28'+ jumps. This was 'obviously' going to be 30+. Carl got frightened and described it as 'feeling out of control' and bailed on the jump making it a glorified run-through, landing upright and running out the back of the pit. Tellez said the run-through was legal and measured around 27'6". It was easily (his words) a potential 30'6" jump. I don't recall him saying what meet or year the jump was from, and don't know the exact physics involved, but the video was very convincing. By the way, I was at the Sports Festival meet mentioned above, sitting about 10 rows up, and can tell you that the jump was breathtaking whatever the actual distance. It was definately an abnormal performance.

Comment

>I once saw Tom Tellez at a clinic speaking on the LJ. He showed many clips of
          >Carl Lewis. He showed one particular clip in which Lewis, at mid flight, was
          >approx. 18" higher than his norm. Tellez showed this jump superimposed on the
          >screen against other 28'+ jumps. This was 'obviously' going to be 30+. Carl
          >got frightened and described it as 'feeling out of control' and bailed on the
          >jump making it a glorified run-through, landing upright and running out the
          >back of the pit. Tellez said the run-through was legal and measured around
          >27'6". It was easily (his words) a potential 30'6" jump.

A 27ft 6in run-through??? That's insane!

Comment

I remember rumors of Carl doing 25' pops during the filming of a commercial in 2000. He was supposedly 6 stepping them. If he had just focused on the LJ, he'd have gone 32 feet, easily.

Comment

>I remember rumors of Carl doing 25' pops during the filming of a commercial in
              >2000. He was supposedly 6 stepping them. If he had just focused on the LJ,
              >he'd have gone 32 feet, easily.

MJD, King Carl was one mighty fine athlete, and yes, he could have LJ'ed farther if it was his only event, but you bandy around ANOTHER 3 FEET like it's nothing, and it's not.

30 feet ? Maybe. 32 feet ? Absolutely nfw.

Comment

make that MJR not MJD, sorry for the typo.

Comment

>If he had just focused on the LJ,
                  >he'd have gone 32 feet, easily.

Perhaps you mean TJ ;-)
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>make that MJR not MJD, sorry for the typo.

Well, I do know it is like 12 minutes off the marathon WR which is impossible.

Comment

Think the film of "the jump" has been analysed in TFN or TT, and found to be in 28-6 to 29' range, about what Carl had jumped indoors.

Comment

Wow! Regardless of wether Carl had an actual jump over 30 feet, the fact is that he was jumping VERY far in the early 80's. When you consider that his official PR came in the early 90's (1991 WC) it says a lot about his amazing consistency and longevity. How many athletes in any sport have continued to maintain such consistency at a world-class level (and even improve) over a 10+ year span. Now I can understand why people call him "King Carl".

Comment

King was well capable of 30'+

the problem was that with his "fast" runup jumps,it was difficult to control the technique as well as you can with a slower approach

here is the data(from PJ):

"For Long Jump i give you figures at take-off for Carl LEWIS from IAF Scientific Reports, for attempts #1, 2, 3, 4, 6.

Official Dist. / Effective Dist. / Vertical V / Horiz. V / Angle of Projection

Roma'87
                          8.67 / 8.84 / 9.9 / 3.2 / 17.7
                          8.65 / 8.68 / 9.2 / 3.4 / 20.2
                          8.67 / 8.67 / 8.9 / 3.5 / 21.5
                          8.43 / 8.64 / 8.8 / 3.5 / 21.6
                          8.60 / 8.76 / 9.2 / 3.3 / 19.8

Seoul'88
                          8.72 / 8.90 / 9.3 / 3.5 / 20.8

Tokyo'91
                          8.91 / 8.91 / 9.72 / 3.22 / 18.3"

use the below link to analyse the data (convert the horizontal/vertical velocities into a combined one with simple pythagoras & use a "height" (centre of mass) between 1.25m - 1.30m)

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph11e/projectile.htm

(obviously air-resistance & wind-speed aren't included)

i haven't had a chance to analyse all the jumps,but his biggest was close to 9.20 (potentially) - so if he had got his technique close to perfect for one of his quicker jumps,he would have gone over 30'

Comment

Hmmmm...I've just input all my data into one of these models and discovered I was good for 2.63m. Damn...where did I go wrong?

Comment

in the long jump?!

Comment

Working...
                              X