Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carl Lewis 30ft Long Jump

Originally posted by MJR
    I remember rumors of Carl doing 25' pops during the filming of a commercial in 2000. He was supposedly 6 stepping them. If he had just focused on the LJ, he'd have gone 32 feet, easily.
    32 feet, easily!?!?!? You have to be kidding...
    "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
      Originally posted by MJR
      I remember rumors of Carl doing 25' pops during the filming of a commercial in 2000. He was supposedly 6 stepping them. If he had just focused on the LJ, he'd have gone 32 feet, easily.
      32 feet, easily!?!?!? You have to be kidding...
      Gosh, haven't seen that since I typed it. I use the 10-key pad when I type #s, must have missed that 0 and hit the 2 instead. OUCH! ops:

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
        If he had just focused on the LJ, he'd have gone 32 feet, easily.

must have missed that 0 and hit the 2 instead.
        It would be startling news to Carl to find out he did NOT focus on the LJ! He even says in his Bolt remarks, "I'm a Long Jumper who also sprints."
        I can't believe he would have been any better if he had not sprinted. IMO he would have done worse as a LJer if he had not sprinted.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          I can't believe he would have been any better if he had not sprinted. IMO he would have done worse as a LJer if he had not sprinted.
          It is quite possible that you are right; however, there is a good
          chance that his PB would have been better. Consider his four forfeited
          attempts in LA, the ``off seasons'' he took between the championships,
          and generally the smaller number of LJ competitions per season.

Comment

Can anyone point me towards the Carl thread that was in Current Events a few hours ago. I can't believe it would have been pulled, and just seem to find it anywhere :?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaack
              Can anyone point me towards the Carl thread that was in Current Events a few hours ago. I can't believe it would have been pulled, and just seem to find it anywhere :?
              Consigned to the Twilight Zone:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... sc&start=0

Comment

Originally posted by MJR

It would be startling news to Carl to find out he did NOT focus on the LJ! He even says in his Bolt remarks, "I'm a Long Jumper who also sprints."
                Yah need to learn about specificity of training. If you practice 3-4 things to get good at them all, there is no way to possibly maximize performance in any one of them. The amount of work he did never allowed him to rest and recuperate enough to excel to the limits of his physical talents.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                  Originally posted by MJR

Yah need to learn about specificity of training. If you practice 3-4 things to get good at them all, there is no way to possibly maximize performance in any one of them. The amount of work he did never allowed him to rest and recuperate enough to excel to the limits of his physical talents.

An interesting speculation is the possibility that sprinting helped saving
                  him from injuries. In particular, as I understand it, his current
                  knee/back problems are attributed to the long jump; and with the
                  stress of additional long jumping, he could conceivably have called it
                  a day before 1996.

Comment

lj'ing doesn't require 100m sprinting excellence

it requires 50 - 60m sprinting excellence - something which was never as good as his 100m

if he didn't concentrate on running 100s ( especially that last 40m ) but spent his time just on 60m ( running indoor seasons frequently ), he may have got 3 or 4 hundredths quicker over 60m & therefore faster at take-off - trading off stopping work done for 60m - 100m section for extra work in 0 - 60m - this coud lead directly to improvements in lj

worth remembering that his 60m speed couda been significantly improved - dwight had much faster 60mi pb & therefore possibly faster run-up speed

Comment

Strictly speaking, it is the _speed_ at roughly 50/60 meters that would
                      be interesting, not the over-all time. I had a brief look at Mureika's
                      splits, and I have the impression that Lewis was usually roughly at top
                      speed in the 50-60 meter interval.

(Nevertheless, it is quite possible that he would have been able to
                      reach a higher take-off speed, had he not had to bother with speed
                      endurance and similar.)

Comment

i tend to go with his best split being usually 60 - 70m & even sometimes 70 - 80m !

Comment

Eldrick, i don't agree fully with the excellence at 50 or 60m for Long Jump, since these distance require perfect execution with starting blocks, which is irrelevant for LJ. 50m with standing start, or the ability to generate highest speed over the shortest distance describes what is needed during a long jump approach. Lewis had his fastest run-up speeds recorded at 11.0 to 11.2m/sec, which he was able to produce after about 16 to 18 steps, into a progressive acceleration. At 12m/sec (the speed he reached after roughly 30 to 35 steps during 100m races), Lewis couldn't be in proper position to create an impusle at the required angles.

Dwight Phillips' indoor PB 6.47 is no better than Carl Lewis' 60 yards 6.02 in 1983 (then a WIB), which is worth 6.45-6.46. 6.46 was by then way his intermediate time during his 100m PB of 9.86.

Comment

In a next step we can reason that CL could have received an even
                            larger speed increase by using a longer run-up (than he could have
                            from dropping sprinting). Likely, then, he felt that he already had
                            all the speed he needed and could handle at take-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre-Jean
                              Eldrick, i don't agree fully with the excellence at 50 or 60m for Long Jump...
                              well, 11.2m/s is ~ 0.89s, which is not really fast, even allowing for fractional slowing at take-off - plenty of other jumpers shoud be able to go that fast

you are also assuming that at peak speed of 12.0m/s he coudn't get the same take-off angle - he probably woudn't, but it's not impossible - tomlinson himself states that he tries for absolute max speed at the board & jump off that - so that's one current elite guy who tries for max speed

i'd like to have seen him try with max speed - 12m/s over 11.2m/s with same angle on a previous assumed 8.80pb yields over 9.40m - sure angle woud be less at max speed, but it may still have been good enough for 9.00+ with fractional slowing at take-off to 0.84 - 0.85s speed & slightly less angle than at 0.89s

also no matter how you play it, if King's take-off was only 50m, there is no way he was going to get max speed in such a short distance, starting blocks or not - he needed 60 - 70m to get upto 0.83s speed - whether lj run-ups can extend to 60 - 70m, i don't know - clearly he'd only have energy for 2 or 3 jumps out of 6 in such a scenario, but if he wanted the wr, that's what he needed to do

frankly, if you have 0.83s speed, you'd want to have a run-up long enough to attempt to generate it & see if at least once, you "nail it" with that speed & reasonable angle - using 0.89s speeds always is a disappointment

as for indoor pbs, people have expressed scepticism at 6.02i - he never ever looked that fast for 60m

besides, that 6.46 split had a +1.2 wind overall for 100m - jrm has 60m calc ( he says if wind for 100m race is used for 60m split there is little more than 0.01s error ) -> ~ 6.50s basic ( rome split is better at 6.49 basic )

dwight had faster 60m pb & also potential for 9.00+, but again, not long enough runway to get to top speed

Comment

If you don't trust Lewis 6.02, then use 6.04 (in 1983, worth 6.47-6.48) or 6.06 (in 1981, worth 6.49-4.50). Phillip's next best ever is 6.53, do you doubt his 6.47?

The difference between Tomlinson and Lewis is that Lewis requires more distance to reach max speed (Tomlinson prolly 50m, Lewis 70m).

Your reasoning should apply to all jumpers, they all use shorter runs up than 50m, hence should all take longer runs up to reach max speed. Again, the problem is to transfer your sprint into a jump, hence all the jumpers have an approach speed during run-up fractionnally slower than their max speed during sprints.

Comment

Working...
                                X