Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Wineberg's Olympic Gold

Not the first track & field gold medal by a graduate of her high school, the first being won by a very significant figure in the history of track here in the US.

Anybody(without googling)?
    There are no strings on me

Gurdeep Ruth?

sorry.

Comment

Wow, I had to google her to even find out where she is from. The two alumni that I found most interesting (according to wikipedia) were:
      Charles Manson, infamous leader of a murderous cult (attended briefly)
      Jerry Rubin (1956), 1960s-era radical and later a social activist

And I've actually never heard of the other Olympic champ.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
        Wow, I had to google her to even find out where she is from.
        You need to click on my homepage link more lol :wink:

And I've actually never heard of the other Olympic champ.
        That's too bad, because he was also a world record holder in his medal event as well as another. Most people likely don't remember him because he preceeded a legend.

Comment

I have to admit I don't know her high school. (I certainly hope it's not Walnut Hills!)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I have to admit I don't know her high school. (I certainly hope it's not Walnut Hills!)
            Why???

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              Originally posted by gh
              Why???
              Umm, yeah. :?

edit: Oh, the Manson/Rubin thing. Ha-ha.

Comment

I'm guessing DeHart Hubbard. He's the only Cincinattian (?) I know who won OG gold in T&F.

(And what do you folks call someone from Cincinnati? [Real Question--Sorry Guru if this leads to punchline answers.])

Comment

dj is of course correct.

DeHart Hubbard won gold in the long jump at the 1924 Paris Games, and once held the world records in both the LJ(25'10 3/4") and the 100y(=9.6). He was the first African-American to win an individual gold medal.

Hubbard had the misfortune to immediately precede the legend Jesse Owens, who perhaps overshadowed his accomplishments(after all, not too many today know who Arnie Robinson is either), but certainly does not diminish them, especially here in his hometown and the school where I so proudly coach. Now home to two Olympic T&F gold medalists.

To answer your question dj, we are Cincinnatians.

Comment

Guru is undoubtedly correct about how well DeHart Hubbard's career is remembered. He shouldn't be.

My retro rankings (world rankings pre-1947) show Hubbard as having the greatest LJ career for longevity until Ralph Boston. He would have ranked #1 in the world for the LJ six years in a row, 1922 through 1927. He lost only once in that period, a mid-April loss by 1/4 inch in 1925. In that period, he won all six outdoor AAU titles, both NCAA championships he contested (ther was no meet in '24), the OT '24 and OG '24. His next loss was the 1928 OT/AAU combined meet, when he finished 3rd, and then tied for 11th in the OG while injured.

He was also a two-time AAU TJ champ in '22 and '23, with world rankings of 4 and 3 those years. As a 100y dashman, he would have ranked # 5 and 8 in 1925 (when he won the NCAA) and '26.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                      In which case Mary Wineberg is a Cincinnatianal performer!

Comment

Originally posted by Novitiate
                        In which case Mary Wineberg is a Cincinnatianal performer!
                        With my speallin Mary is Cinsaysunal!!!!
                        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                          Originally posted by gh
                          Why???
                          Umm, yeah. :?

edit: Oh, the Manson/Rubin thing. Ha-ha.
                          Because that HS is listed in your handle, which would make it a self-defeating trivia question! (No idea what the Manson/Rubin thing is)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Because that HS is listed in your handle, which would make it a self-defeating trivia question!
                            Not sure why, because the question wasn't what high school she went to, but who the other gold medalist was from that school.

Anyway, thanks dj for the retro rankings info on Hubbard.

We don't plan to stop at two. :wink:

Comment

I believe she ran at Sea Ray Relays in Knoxville this year. She is all good!

Comment

Working...
                              X