X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by Mighty Favog
    He jumped a "WR" of 7.98 or thereabouts in the mid-20s but it was not approved because the board was 1 inch higher than the pit. Using a takeoff angle of 19 to 21 degrees (which Boo Shexnayder told me was the norm), we figured he would have touched down at 7.90 under regulation conditions, which would have been a WR.
    That 7.90 is essentially the same as his 25-10 7/8 WR set in the 1925 NCAA.

The 26-2 1/4 mark was at the Ohio AAU championships in Cincinnati on 9/17/27.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mighty Favog
    . He jumped a "WR" of 7.98 or thereabouts in the mid-20s but it was not approved because the board was 1 inch higher than the pit. .
    I am familiar with Mr Hubbard 'srecord and my comments are to applaud, not denigrate, his accomplishments because I am familiar with primitive jumping facilities.

I wonder if the board was one inch higher than the runway or the rim of the pit or the sand level. I have seen tens of thousands jumps and,unless it is the first jump after screeding, a rarity in olden days, few sand surfaces, even today, are absolutely level with the board.
    I also wonder if it was a pit without fixed edges. Dunno how it was in the 20s but in my experience in the 40s and even into the 50s, most outdoor long jump pits, even at D1 venues, were just excavations originally (nearly) filled with sand which quickly scattered until we were frequently jumping into pits substantially lower than the takeoff board. Typically the "rim" of the pit was several inchs of sand build up overgrown with grass.
    Also, we did not really have runways. The boards were just set into the ground and we approached over a path worn in the grass.

Leave a comment:

• Mighty Favog
    replied
    Even more esoteric question: how many state championships did DeHart Hubbard win?
    Answer: Zero. Cincinatti's school board didn't allow teams to travel to the state meet back then.

Me and a physics teacher friend worked on a DeHart Hubbard problem a while back. He jumped a "WR" of 7.98 or thereabouts in the mid-20s but it was not approved because the board was 1 inch higher than the pit. Using a takeoff angle of 19 to 21 degrees (which Boo Shexnayder told me was the norm), we figured he would have touched down at 7.90 under regulation conditions, which would have been a WR.

Yeah, math and phyisics people have wild times when we get together.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    I believe she ran at Sea Ray Relays in Knoxville this year. She is all good!

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Because that HS is listed in your handle, which would make it a self-defeating trivia question!
    Not sure why, because the question wasn't what high school she went to, but who the other gold medalist was from that school.

Anyway, thanks dj for the retro rankings info on Hubbard.

We don't plan to stop at two. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by gh
    I have to admit I don't know her high school. (I certainly hope it's not Walnut Hills!)
    Why???
    Umm, yeah. :?

edit: Oh, the Manson/Rubin thing. Ha-ha.
    Because that HS is listed in your handle, which would make it a self-defeating trivia question! (No idea what the Manson/Rubin thing is)

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by Novitiate
    To answer your question dj, we are Cincinnatians.
    In which case Mary Wineberg is a Cincinnatianal performer!
    With my speallin Mary is Cinsaysunal!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Novitiate
    replied
    In which case Mary Wineberg is a Cincinnatianal performer!

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Guru is undoubtedly correct about how well DeHart Hubbard's career is remembered. He shouldn't be.

My retro rankings (world rankings pre-1947) show Hubbard as having the greatest LJ career for longevity until Ralph Boston. He would have ranked #1 in the world for the LJ six years in a row, 1922 through 1927. He lost only once in that period, a mid-April loss by 1/4 inch in 1925. In that period, he won all six outdoor AAU titles, both NCAA championships he contested (ther was no meet in '24), the OT '24 and OG '24. His next loss was the 1928 OT/AAU combined meet, when he finished 3rd, and then tied for 11th in the OG while injured.

He was also a two-time AAU TJ champ in '22 and '23, with world rankings of 4 and 3 those years. As a 100y dashman, he would have ranked # 5 and 8 in 1925 (when he won the NCAA) and '26.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    dj is of course correct.

DeHart Hubbard won gold in the long jump at the 1924 Paris Games, and once held the world records in both the LJ(25'10 3/4") and the 100y(=9.6). He was the first African-American to win an individual gold medal.

Hubbard had the misfortune to immediately precede the legend Jesse Owens, who perhaps overshadowed his accomplishments(after all, not too many today know who Arnie Robinson is either), but certainly does not diminish them, especially here in his hometown and the school where I so proudly coach. Now home to two Olympic T&F gold medalists.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    I'm guessing DeHart Hubbard. He's the only Cincinattian (?) I know who won OG gold in T&F.

(And what do you folks call someone from Cincinnati? [Real Question--Sorry Guru if this leads to punchline answers.])

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by gh
    I have to admit I don't know her high school. (I certainly hope it's not Walnut Hills!)
    Why???
    Umm, yeah. :?

edit: Oh, the Manson/Rubin thing. Ha-ha.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Why???

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by mcgato
    Wow, I had to google her to even find out where she is from.
    You need to click on my homepage link more lol :wink:

And I've actually never heard of the other Olympic champ.
    That's too bad, because he was also a world record holder in his medal event as well as another. Most people likely don't remember him because he preceeded a legend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X