X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIF Schooboy 180 Low Hurdle Champs and Places, '47-'74

click on link:

http://www.woodhurdles.com/180YardLowHurdles/1.html

[original posted material cut by mods because it violates the "facts not fiction" stricture] [which means if you follow the link, caveat emptor]

At least 2 other names from " the old days" that you should have highlighted:

Jack Davis 1949 winner
    won silver in 1952 OG highs, losing to Harrison Dillard, then

won silver in 1956 OG highs, losing by inches to Lee Calhoun

Monte Upshaw 1953 runner up, 1954 winner

In 1954 he set national HS record in the Broad Jump
    He's the dad of Grace Upshaw
    I talked to him at the Nationals here in Indy last year. He is very fit and a peach of a guy.

Comment

I can't say for sure where these marks originated, but that's not the point. The listing is full of errors -- names, schools, times, wind readings, straightaway vs. curve, etc. -- too many to list here. This is not meant to be an ad plug for The California State High School Track and Field Meet 1915-2006 book, sold by T&FN. I'm just posting a cautionary note, so that people who really care about this arcane stuff will know that the information above, as well as that which appears on a couple of websites whose links occasionally appear on these boards, is not acceptable as an accurate statistical record of the State Meet results.

Comment

Yeah, maybe not entirely reliable for stats purposes but there are some great oldie but goodie names here that are not in bold font:
        Dixon Farmer became an NCAA champion and eventually AD at Occidental
        Dee Andrews was a football star at USC and later a Long Beach city councilman
        Steve Caminiti was a national class hurdler
        Greg Heet was an elegant state champion straddle high jumper .Manuel Murrell was a fabulous long jumper and football star at LB Poly

An even more entertaining race was the 120 low hurdles for "B" and "C" exponent competitors

Comment

Originally posted by tc
          I can't say for sure where these marks originated, but that's not the point. The listing is full of errors -- names, schools, times, wind readings, straightaway vs. curve, etc. -- too many to list here.
          Looks to be a near carbon-copy of:
          http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/TRA ... .htm#180LH

Comment

I'm thinking that the Robert Bonds who won in 1960 is actually the brother of Bobby Bonds the baseball player. They had sort of George Foreman-ish deal in the family of naming kids with similar names.

Bobby graduated from high school in 1964. When he wasn't playing baseball he sometimes ran in track meets and was about the most awesome physical specimen I had ever seen. He won the State Meet at 25'3".

Robert (the hurdler on this list) played football at San Jose St. and was drafted by some AFL team. Sister Rosie Bonds was an Olympic team hurdler in 1964 ?

Comment

The State Meet results section (up to about 1999) is lifted from research done by Bill Peck in the 80s and early 90s. His more recent research, combined with the deeper results data that I provided, has supplanted the information on the web with much more accurate and corrected data. Peck has repeatedly requested that the information attributed to him, Bruce McIntosh and Rick Obrand be removed from the web -- to no avail. I have no idea how gh will feel about the reproduction of T&FN pages on this site (and others).

Comment

1964 w+3.0

1 Earl McCullouch LB Poly S 18.4
                - - - - - - -

Second-greatest hurdler ever from Long Beach Poly.

And the greatest, with OG gold and WRs, was?

Comment

Hey - I coulda been a contenda in the CIF Finals!! (in 1949) ops:

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                    1964 w+3.0

1 Earl McCullouch LB Poly S 18.4
                    - - - - - - -

Second-greatest hurdler ever from Long Beach Poly.

And the greatest, with OG gold and WRs, was?
                    Earl Thomson

Comment

Earl Thomson, yes, although the Wikipedia site you reference fails to mention that his major accomplishments occurred while he ran for Dartmouth. He spent only his freshman year of 1916 at USC.

Comment

Sorry, I wanted to provide a biographical link, and couldn't find one that is sufficiently comprehensive. For example, his USATF HoF and Encyclopaedia Britannica biographical entries are both also somewhat lacking in detail. Furthermore, I never found one that explicitly stated he had been a Jackrabbit. Do you know of any good, original sources of such information?

Comment

Jeez, nobody seems to have an accurate Thomson file! I don't know if that's because they're working off each other, but each has problems. I'll try to come up with a statistical survey to post later.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                            At least 2 other names from " the old days" that you should have highlighted:

Jack Davis 1949 winner …

Monte Upshaw 1953 runner up, 1954 winner…
                            Add to the "should be highlighted" list is "John Henry[sic]" from 1949. This is actually John Henry Johnson, the great, bruising fullback from Piittsburg High School, Pittsburg, CA, and later of the Pittsburgh Steelers (and other National Football League teams.) John Henry Johnson was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame.

Johnson, also that year, took third in the State meet non-scoring 16 # shot put behind winner Parry O'Brien, 6th in the boys 12 # put, again behind O'Brien who was only 3rd, and won the discuss. For his efforts, the Dyestat site on the history of the California State meet never gets his full name right.

Comment

Johnson was fifth in the 1949 12-lb. shot, not sixth. Sixth was John Davis (San Diego).

Comment

Working...
                              X