Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Beamon

A guy told me that Bob Beamon could take like 3-4 steps from half-court and a basketball court and dunk. He did this in a game and was called for a travel since the refs could not believe any body could do this. Any truth to this? Where did Mr. Beamon go to college?

Re: Bob Beamon

>A guy told me that Bob Beamon could take like 3-4 steps from half-court and a
    >basketball court and dunk. He did this in a game and was called for a travel
    >since the refs could not believe any body could do this. Any truth to this?
    >Where did Mr. Beamon go to college?

Beamon went to UTEP. Have no knowledge of him having played basketball. But if he "did this in a game" and what he did was "take like 3-4 steps..." that sure sounds like a travel to me. One and then a leap is the limit !

Comment

Beamon started at North Carolina A&T, went to UTEP (then do I have a vague recollection of his trying ot use a season of basketball eligibility at Adelphi?).

In any case, he could surely dunk taking off from the freethrow line, since many lesser mortals can do it, so the question becomes one of if you think he could get up enough speed (and cover the 28ft from center court to line) in 3-4 steps to jump that far. My guess is sure, why not?

Comment

I have read many times that when Beamon jumped his incredible 8.90m within the thin air of Mexico City, that at one stage in the jump his hips were 8ft in the air (which is higher than my living room ceiling!). I know this sounds absurd but if Beamon ran from his run-up and took off and cleared the High Jump bar could he beat Sotomayer in a High Jumpo contest???

Comment

>I know this sounds absurd
          >but if Beamon ran from his run-up and took off and cleared the High Jump bar
          >could he beat Sotomayer in a High Jumpo contest???

Erm... sure... and if he carried a stick and jumped off it, he could have beaten Bubka's 6.15 :-)
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>>I know this sounds absurd
            >but if Beamon ran from his run-up and took off and
            >cleared the High Jump bar
            >could he beat Sotomayer in a High Jumpo
            >contest???

Erm... sure... and if he carried a stick and jumped off it, he
            >could have beaten Bubka's 6.15 :-)

Lol

Comment

I forgot to add he also could have gotten two more jumps in at the end of his attempt and broken 18.29...
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>I have read many times that when Beamon jumped his incredible 8.90m within the
                >thin air of Mexico City, that at one stage in the jump his hips were 8ft in the
                >air (which is higher than my living room ceiling!). I know this sounds absurd
                >but if Beamon ran from his run-up and took off and cleared the High Jump bar
                >could he beat Sotomayer in a High Jumpo contest???

we found some figures for beamon (provided by PJ) on IAAF site:

Some data for Bob Beamon (Body Height 1.90m)

According Popov and Grunlach (Der Leichtathlet):
                Official Distance 8.90m
                Effective Distance 8.92m
                Horizontal Speed 8.90m/s
                Vertical Speed 3.90m/s
                Angle at TO 24°

According French team led by A.Junqua, from a chronophotography of the jump took from the crowds:
                Official Distance 8.90m
                Effective Distance ?
                Horizontal Speed 9.2m/s
                Vertical Speed 3.5m/s
                Angle at TO 21°
                Height of CoM 1.25m

if use this link for the data

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph11e/projectile.htm

it shows that his maximum height would have been likely below 7' (2.05 is actual estimate)

in fact,to have got a high point of 8' ,using the same take-off speed,he would have needed an angle of take-off of 30 degrees for an ultimate distance of ~ 10.10m !!!

Comment

According Junqua, the maximum height of centor of mass during the flight phase was 1.96m (or 6ft 5in) for that Mexico jump.
                  In theory, he estimated that the first contact was 9.25m from the take-off, assuming the speed 9.8m/s, the angle of take-off 21° and the height of CoM at take-off 1.25m.

Comment

>According Junqua, the maximum height of centor of mass during the flight phase
                    >was 1.96m (or 6ft 5in) for that Mexico jump.
                    In theory, he estimated that the
                    >first contact was 9.25m from the take-off, assuming the speed 9.8m/s, the angle
                    >of take-off 21° and the height of CoM at take-off 1.25m.

PJ,gravity at mexico city is tiny bit less at 9.80

using 1st set of data(24 degrees) -> 9.31m !!! & high point of 2.05m

using 2nd set of data (21 degrees) -> 9.01m & high point of 1.88m

(both using COM 1.25m)

i don't trust that 24 degrees data as that jump comes out too far (but comparable with that guy's estimate of 9.25m).
                    2nd data gives more realistic estimate

Comment

As you know, i'm no good in mathematical things, so i don't understand all mentioned in the article.

Junqua says that 1.96m for heighest point of CoM indicates a gravity of 9,782 m/s², and in Mexico City, it is 9.799m/s²

Comment

Eldrick, please e-mail me!

Comment

>Eldrick, please e-mail me!

give me a couple of hours - i can't e-mail out from this computer

Comment

Beamon "DID" grab a quarter from the top of the backboard at UTEP. Coach Vandenberg soon let him go from the team because of some protesting he was doing at the time. ( I grew up in El Paso)
                            DD

Comment

Quite a while ago the LA Times published a full page article about the validity and non-validity of vertical jumps. There have been many reports of v-jumps exceeding 40", yet there was at that time little reliable video reference of this. There have been a number of people reputed to have taken coins off the top of a backboard (around 13' I think), yet has anyone ever seen it done? Live or on tape?

I'm 6' 3/4" (Same as Brumel) with 2.20 and 7.15 and 15.03 PRs. My best stunt jumps were a dunk from the foul line where I ran from the other end of the court, flat out and my coach Sam Colson stopped me from crashing into the padded supports, I hit my head on a rim once in a pick-up game, I've dunked on a 10'6" rim and I've dunked a 16 lb. shot. And I once dunked a b-ball with a 20lb vest on. I used to do dunks with the Clemson B-ball team and I have never seen anyone go near the top of a backboard. I've seen people touch a few inches higher than the square but that's it.

I would be interested to hear what other people can reliable attest to have seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X