Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 Cross Country Olympics

Can't remember if I asked this question before but I've always meant to...

Ate at Matt's El Rancho here in Austin for lunch. On the place mat, there's a picture of him (Matt Martinez) breaking a finish line tape in rolled up army pants and army boots. The captions says "Winner of the 1942 Cross Country Olympics over the Pillar Mountains in Kodiak Alaska. Matt finished the 13.5 mile course in 1 hour 23 minutes."

Bullshit or did this really happen?

BTW, the menu also says he was the Texas Golden Gloves Champion.

Re: 1942 Cross Country Olympics

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
    Can't remember if I asked this question before but I've always meant to...

Ate at Matt's El Rancho here in Austin for lunch. On the place mat, there's a picture of him (Matt Martinez) breaking a finish line tape in rolled up army pants and army boots. The captions says "Winner of the 1942 Cross Country Olympics over the Pillar Mountains in Kodiak Alaska. Matt finished the 13.5 mile course in 1 hour 23 minutes."

Bullshit or did this really happen?

BTW, the menu also says he was the Texas Golden Gloves Champion.
    About 6:10 mile pace in army boots and pants?mmmmmm...... over mountains in Alaska..mmmmmmmm.....1942? mmmmmmmm.......13.5 miles..mmmm
    phsstt!

Comment

Probably was some sort of military training deal, including cross country skiis. That's my guess anyway.

Comment

Let's see; stuck on a military base in Alaska during harrowing wartime conditions, and the OG proper have been cancelled.

Sounds like the kind of silliness that was probably recretated at military bases the world round.

It's not bullshit; it's just a flight of fancy that nobody was meant to take seriously.

They probably also handed out Oscars after the base variety shows.

Comment

Working...
        X