Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why no love for Soto?

When the all-time great track athletes are mentioned, I rarely see Sotomayor mentioned - why is that? He has 2 Olympic medals, 1 gold. Has held the world record for over 20 years and no one is close to his WR. He was ranked #1 several times - is there a Cuban bias or do people think he cheated or just didn't dominate like it appears?? Someone please explain.

My personal opinions:

1. He is the second best high jumper of all times. Obviously, he would be
    mentioned more often in inter-event discussions, had he been the number one.

2. He is a twice caught cheater. This is not only an ugly mark on his record,
    but puts many of his performances in doubt.

In addition, I do suspect that the US majority on these boards would like him a
    whole lot more had he been a US citizen.

Comment

He's a cheater. That's all you need to know.

Comment

Previous threads on this:
        http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=28225
        http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=13287

A cocaine bust and then a nandralone bust at 34 did him no favours...

This trhead ranking #7 best athlete across all events in past 2 decades:
        http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... php?t=3205

Comment

He was also quite easily the most surly athlete I've met in all my years in the sport. Anyone else who had a personal interface with him undoubtedly lets that color their picture of him.

I would personally rate him as probably the No. 2 HJ guy ever, after Brumel.

Comment

Parker, a word of caution. Although you are more than entitled to your opinion, even clarifying that in you message is not enough to allow you to make such statements. I appreciate your input on this board, and do not want to see you "sent to time out" for making statements of this sort. Garry and the boys keep a tight reign in this area, and well they should.

Comment

I vote for the shorts: Austin, Conway, Holm, Matei.. :wink: I know there are shortest but I like those...

Aside his doping caughts I see Soto as one of the best HJers ever. I've couldn't see Brumel.

As for the women, Kostadinova and Balas were great

Comment

Originally posted by parkerrclay
                I found this on another post online. This is from a well-respected person in track & field. I'm not gonna pst his name although it can be easily found online.
                google found it first try. I have never seen him sign as Coach _ _ _ _ _ _, always as _-_-_-_-_-_

Comment

After the Cubs lost their 5th straight game. I first thought this was an attack on Geovany Soto the Cubs' rookie All-Star catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                    He's a cheater. That's all you need to know.
                    Horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                      I first thought this was an attack on Geovany Soto the Cubs' rookie All-Star catcher.
                      On another athletics forum (gasp, you mean there are others) a guy posted a question something like: Who is the fastest 17 year-old hurdler who leads with his left leg - or something.

After the discussion had been going on for some time this one guy pops in with: I've just realised what you guys are talking about. I though the question was, "Who was the fattest 17 year-old hurdler".

Martin
                      the baton is meant to be passed on

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
                        Parker, a word of caution. Although you are more than entitled to your opinion, even clarifying that in you message is not enough to allow you to make such statements. I appreciate your input on this board, and do not want to see you "sent to time out" for making statements of this sort. Garry and the boys keep a tight reign in this area, and well they should.
                        This references a parkerclay post that has been removed. Apparently pc just does not get it. When it comes to drug rumors, saying "I found it elsewhere" doesn't make it appceptable for here. If you've got facts, bring it on. If you've got rumor and innuendo, you're simply hanging out in the wrong place.

Comment

it does offer a "moral" question though

if an athlete tests +ve towards end of their career, does it mean it is reasonable or morally right to accuse them of doping at an other part of their career if you so wish ?

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                            it does offer a "moral" question though

if an athlete tests +ve towards end of their career, does it mean it is reasonable or morally right to accuse them of doping at an other part of their career if you so wish ?
                            Accusing, no. However, it is very reasonable to suspect them, and I
                            would consider it entirely acceptable for an individual to subtract
                            points from ``shady'' athletes in his personal all-time rankings.

Comment

Not in these forums it's not.

Although T&FN has long held to a policy of bouncing the whole calendar year of marks when somebody has a positive. Hence while Randy Barnes is the WR holder in the shot, he's not atop the T&FN all-time list, because later that same year he had his positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X