Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia Time - Pole Vault your age?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by EastBayprepoftheweek67
    Notice the correct "English" use of the word "school."
    Noted, and appreciated.


    Thank you.



    Martin
    the baton is meant to be passed on

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by dj
      Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      Originally posted by EastBayprepoftheweek67
      Originally posted by dukehjsteve

      dukehjsteve asks:

      Let's turn the trivia around, here's an easy one. Of some of those guys mentioned above:

      Where did Camien go to high school ?
      Where did Weisiger go to college ?
      The answer for Camien is the high school attended by a four time Gold Medalist (same event.)

      The answer for Wiesiger is found in your moniker. [That's OK, I like Cal (East Bay) trivia.]
      The above "answers" are correct !
      Now flip the question: Where did Camien go to college, and where did Wiesiger go to high school?
      Camien I believe went to Emporia State. Cary's from Pittsburgh- I think Mt. Lebanon. Father was a Methodist minister. His kid brother went to Duke too, same class as myself.

      Comment


      • #33
        Just to answer my age-vaulting trivia questions, answers are: Jacob Davis (19) 19'4 1/4; William Bell (85) 8'0; and Paul Babits (47) 51.4 decimeters(16'10 1/4)... How about some other events for "acting your age".. ?

        Comment


        • #34
          I've always thought that'd be pretty cool to vault my age. I never quite pulled it off while was a young, active, vaulter, but I haven't given up hope. I intend to take up the event again soon so that by my 60th birthday I can do the deed. Imagine that, 60 feet! I think I can do it.

          Oh, you mean all in one vault? If I can do it in 6, does that count?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Honusonthesound
            I intend to take up the event again soon so that by my 60th birthday I can do the deed.
            Vaulting 60 inches should be possible at that age. Or, if you fail at that, you could go for 60cm
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

            Comment


            • #36
              As the number of candles on the birthday cake starts to become symbolic, an interesting challenge might be to find the earliest age at which you can run a lap in your age in seconds. A 45 year-old doing that would be very impressive. I expect that by the time I am 90 running a lap will be a thing of the past, so there's a window in there somewhere in which it might happen. My p.b. was only ever 50.6 so I expect to be able to do it some time in the next decade and my partner has challenged me to try it each year on my birthday. When I mentioned it at the club I saw lights going on in a few heads and I hope to be able to turn it into a regular part of our schedule.


              Just a thought.



              Martin
              the baton is meant to be passed on

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Cottonshirt
                As the number of candles on the birthday cake starts to become symbolic, an interesting challenge might be to find the earliest age at which you can run a lap in your age in seconds. A 45 year-old doing that would be very impressive. I expect that by the time I am 90 running a lap will be a thing of the past, so there's a window in there somewhere in which it might happen. My p.b. was only ever 50.6 so I expect to be able to do it some time in the next decade and my partner has challenged me to try it each year on my birthday. When I mentioned it at the club I saw lights going on in a few heads and I hope to be able to turn it into a regular part of our schedule.


                Just a thought.



                Martin
                According to http://www.apulanta.fi/matti/yu/aars_Men.html#400m, one Ron
                Chambers has done it, and with some margin; however, I know from experience
                that apulanta regularly stumbles on minor errors at Pela's, and it looks a little
                suspicious.

                If Ron is not the real deal, then the window is likely very small, seeing that Butch
                Reynolds' age record at 34 is only marginally better than 45s. Johnson might
                have had a very slim chance, had he tried to emulate Ottey.

                Edit: In the above, I was a bit too hooked on the number 45. Of course there is
                a window at somewhat higher ages than that.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by imaginative
                  According to http://www.apulanta.fi/matti/yu/aars_Men.html#400m, one RonChambers has done it, and with some margin; however, I know from experience that apulanta regularly stumbles on minor errors at Pela's, and it looks a littlesuspicious.

                  If Ron is not the real deal, then the window is likely very small, seeing that Butch
                  Reynolds' age record at 34 is only marginally better than 45s. Johnson might
                  have had a very slim chance, had he tried to emulate Ottey.

                  Edit: In the above, I was a bit too hooked on the number 45. Of course there is
                  a window at somewhat higher ages than that.

                  well, the "minor" error at my site is now corrected ops:

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    According to http://www.apulanta.fi/matti/yu/aars_Men.html#400m, one Ron
                    Chambers has done it,
                    A 49-year-old ran a 45.0 ??!! My BS-meter is going nuts! Can anyone corroborate this?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Marlow
                      According to http://www.apulanta.fi/matti/yu/aars_Men.html#400m, one Ron
                      Chambers has done it,
                      A 49-year-old ran a 45.0 ??!! My BS-meter is going nuts! Can anyone corroborate this?
                      it was a mistake on my all-time list which caused this error. It is of course Ricardo Chambers (b 1984) which should have this 45.x to his credit.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Just to satisfy curiosity, the oldest 400 runner to clock less than his age was 85 (far as I know) - Rod Parker, 1:22.4

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X