Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970's High School Miler

If you look on this list, way down there at almost 200th place you will see a guy called Tony Colon ran (almost) a mile in 3:59.3 * on 20 Jul 1974. The list compiler (Bob Sparks) has given this guy as PR which means he comes from Puerto Rico. Thing is, there are two Tony Colon's.

Tony Colon I
    This guy is from Puerto Rico, (d.o.b 24-Feb-1953), he went to the 72 and 76 Olympics in the 1500m, failed to get past round 1 both times, has a p.b. of 3:40.6 which he set in 1976.

Tony Colon II
    I don't know much about this guy. He comes from New York and I think he went to Power Memorial HS. I saw his photo on the cover of New York Scholastic Track 1971, the caption said "Tony Colon, distance star" or something like that, and mentions that he is a Golden West Champion (whatever that is).

The question is: The guy on the mile list could easily be the Puerto Rican olympian, and probably is. But does anyone have any stats on the New York guy that would help eliminate him from consideration. New York Scholastic Track 1971 is stats for the 1970 season, which means someone born in 1953 would be only 17 years-old, so one option I'm considering is that they could be the same guy. A HS "distance star" in 1970 could easily be a 3:59 miler in 1974, right?

p.s. The * after his time means he actually ran 1757 yards and they added 0.5 seconds for the missing three yards. Don't ask me how he only ran that far. One of the great unanswered questions of Track & Field is how you can have your National Championships on a track that is five laps to the mile?

Martin
    the baton is meant to be passed on

Tony Colon I and II are one and the same.

http://www.nationmaster.com/discussion/country/rq

He:s currently a spanish teacher.

http://www.powermemorialacademy.com/Alu ... ction=1555

Comment

Thank you very much; and so fast too.

I spent about four hours Googling Tony Colon and came up blank (or almost). You had 33 minutes and came up with two really good connections. Thank you very much.

Martin

Comment

Re: 1970's High School Miler

Originally posted by Cottonshirt
        I saw his photo on the cover of New York Scholastic Track 1971, the caption said "Tony Colon, distance star" or something like that, and mentions that he is a Golden West Champion (whatever that is).
        The Golden West Invitational, Sacramento, CA, used to be the first coming out party for senior male high school athletes to compete against athletes from across the nation. It is still put on in early June each year, selecting athletes (girls and boys, now) by invite only but not limited to seniors. The initial concept was to get the top 8 athletes in each event to come and compete without heats/qualifications. It worked for many years, being one of a kind, getting the best, but has now been buried by other, better funded post season invitationals. It still attracts good athletes, but not all the best.

See http://www.goldenwestinvitational.org/

Comment

Thank you, that was a real interesting link.

Tony won the mile in 1970, in the exact same time as Steve Prefontaine the year before, and 2 whole seconds faster than Marty Liquori.

I also notice that Jim Morrison won it in 1972, which is pretty incredible considering he died the previous July. :lol:

Thank you very much.

Martin

Comment

what east bay said. GWI used to be the premier post season HS track meet until I don't know when. I went to see it however two years ago with my brothers and it has dwindled to a shadow of its earlier glory. It was quite a stark contrast. Must have been 3-400 in stands.

Comment

Originally posted by no one
              what east bay said. GWI used to be the premier post season HS track meet until I don't know when. I went to see it however two years ago with my brothers and it has dwindled to a shadow of its earlier glory. It was quite a stark contrast. Must have been 3-400 in stands.
              My father and I were also there in 2006. We attended the NCAA meet (my first, his first as a spectator) at Sacramento State, then stuck around for an extra day to see the youngsters. I don't know when it moved, but the meet is now held in Folsom, outside Sacramento. It's a rather fancy facility for a high school. Nevertheless, perhaps the present location partially explains the poor attendance. We arrived early, waited for some shade to reach the stands, then ended up sitting next to Jessica Beard's family - very nice, friendly folks.

Comment

I also notice that Jim Morrison won it in 1972, which is pretty incredible considering he died the previous July.
                Rumors of Jim Morrison's demise are greatly exaggerated. He was a college teammate of mine.

Comment

I spent about four hours Googling Tony Colon and came up blank (or almost). You had 33 minutes and came up with two really good connections. Thank you very much.

Martin
                  Martin. Tony Colon is not unknown to Americans. It takes far less that 33 minutes to come up with that information - only as long as it takes to type a response.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                    Rumors of Jim Morrison's demise are greatly exaggerated. He was a college teammate of mine.
                    Which one, the singer or the runner?

(or are you going to tell me something really spooky?)

Martin

Comment

Which one, the singer or the runner?

(or are you going to tell me something really spooky?)

Martin
                      I'll give you a hint: Track and Field News.

Comment

Martin
                        Martin. Tony Colon is not unknown to Americans. It takes far less that 33 minutes to come up with that information - only as long as it takes to type a response.
                        Considering no American was able to answer (for whatever reason - time zone?), 33 minutes was not a bad way to go for the rest of us who were interested in learning about a guy whom we had never heard of.

Comment

I'll give you a hint: Track and Field News.
                          It's an anagram, right?

D can sew dank trifle.

I'm not sure that helps much.

Martin

Comment

Dr K fits a new candle.

Don't you know any hard clues?

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                              [
                              Considering no American was able to answer (for whatever reason - time zone?), 33 minutes.
                              EPelle, this isn't a very popular website. If someone didn't stumble upon this thread after 33 minutes, who'd notice?

Comment

Working...
                              X