X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malmo
    replied
    Originally posted by Cottonshirt
    Tony (Colon) won the (Golden West) mile in 1970, in the exact same time as Steve Prefontaine the year before, and 2 whole seconds faster than Marty Liquori.

I also notice that Jim Morrison won it in 1972
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by malmo
    I have mixed emotions about Jim Morrison. He was an Army buddy of mine..
    I don't think so.
    Whaaaa???? There is more than one Jim Morrisson?? :shock:
    There's only one Jim Morrison from Yardley, PA, who won the Golden West mile in 1972, and he was never in the Army.

I'm sure that you know other Mark Parkers, as well, but that one in the picture is the CEO of Nike. The Steve Balmer in the picture is not the CEO of Microsoft, however.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't think so.]
    Whaaaa???? There is more than one Jim Morrisson?? :shock:

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Rumors of Jim Morrison's demise are greatly exaggerated. He was a college teammate of mine.
    Which one, the singer or the runner?
    I'll give you a hint: Track and Field News.
    I have never seen a real life edition of T&FN in my entire life, so I would never have found that. Thanks.
    The Track and Field News hint was to remind you this isn't the Rock and Roll News.com message board.

I just can't get over the fact you had 40 guys in your x-country team. The team I was on, some weeks we were doing really well to have six turn up for the meet,
    I'm surprised that there were only 40 in that photo. The two co-captains of the team aren't in that photo, plus I'd guess at least 10 more aren't there either. The only requirements we had for participation was a commitment to show up every day, and of course, no whining. It made for a very positive environment in which everyone, no matter what their level, was encouraged to excel.

Leave a comment:

• Cottonshirt
    replied
    Just look at those haircuts!

I have never seen a real life edition of T&FN in my entire life, so I would never have found that. Thanks.

I just can't get over the fact you had 40 guys in your x-country team. The team I was on, some weeks we were doing really well to have six turn up for the meet, and one of those would wait until we got there to realise he had only one running shoe with him!

Martin

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    I don't think so.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I have mixed emotions about Jim Morrison. He was an Army buddy of mine. He as also a defensive back on the University of Oklahoma football team circa 1951-52 who mistreated my Oklahoma A&M Cowboys sumthin fierce.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    [
    Considering no American was able to answer (for whatever reason - time zone?), 33 minutes.
    EPelle, this isn't a very popular website. If someone didn't stumble upon this thread after 33 minutes, who'd notice?

Leave a comment:

• Cottonshirt
    replied
    Dr K fits a new candle.

Don't you know any hard clues?

Martin

Leave a comment:

• Cottonshirt
    replied
    It's an anagram, right?

D can sew dank trifle.

I'm not sure that helps much.

Martin

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Thank you very much; and so fast too.

I spent about four hours Googling Tony Colon and came up blank (or almost). You had 33 minutes and came up with two really good connections. Thank you very much.

Martin
    Martin. Tony Colon is not unknown to Americans. It takes far less that 33 minutes to come up with that information - only as long as it takes to type a response.
    Considering no American was able to answer (for whatever reason - time zone?), 33 minutes was not a bad way to go for the rest of us who were interested in learning about a guy whom we had never heard of.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Rumors of Jim Morrison's demise are greatly exaggerated. He was a college teammate of mine.

(or are you going to tell me something really spooky?)

Martin

Leave a comment:

• Cottonshirt
    replied

(or are you going to tell me something really spooky?)

Martin

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Thank you very much; and so fast too.

I spent about four hours Googling Tony Colon and came up blank (or almost). You had 33 minutes and came up with two really good connections. Thank you very much.

Martin
    Martin. Tony Colon is not unknown to Americans. It takes far less that 33 minutes to come up with that information - only as long as it takes to type a response.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    I also notice that Jim Morrison won it in 1972, which is pretty incredible considering he died the previous July.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by no one
    what east bay said. GWI used to be the premier post season HS track meet until I don't know when. I went to see it however two years ago with my brothers and it has dwindled to a shadow of its earlier glory. It was quite a stark contrast. Must have been 3-400 in stands.
    My father and I were also there in 2006. We attended the NCAA meet (my first, his first as a spectator) at Sacramento State, then stuck around for an extra day to see the youngsters. I don't know when it moved, but the meet is now held in Folsom, outside Sacramento. It's a rather fancy facility for a high school. Nevertheless, perhaps the present location partially explains the poor attendance. We arrived early, waited for some shade to reach the stands, then ended up sitting next to Jessica Beard's family - very nice, friendly folks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X