X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    bambam1729

• bambam1729
    replied
    If you click on the link to Frank Lane on SR/olympics, you'll find a but more about his life story.

It’s safe to say that Frank Lane is unknown by today’s generations of sports fans, but he has an exalted place among United States Olympians. Lane was a member of the first U.S. team that competed at the 1896 Olympics in Athens. On 6 April 1896, he toed the line in the first heat of the 100 meter dash, winning the heat, and becoming in the process the first American to compete in the modern Olympic Games. Lane went to the finals of the 100m but finished only fourth in his only Olympic event. Frank Lane competed in the first Olympics while in his junior year at Princeton. Of the four Princetonians on the first U.S. Olympic team, Lane was probably the one least well known athletically, as he never won any sort of major championship. After graduation in 1897 he went to medical school at Washington University in St. Louis. He practiced medicine as an ophthalmologist, becoming the head of that department at Rush Medical College and the Presbyterian and Illinois Central Hospitals in Chicago.

I know we're not supposed to copy directly from other websites but I think its OK in this case.

Leave a comment:

• rasb

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Obviously not Trader Frank Lane, who swapped Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn in 1960, and later that summer traded managers, giving up Joe Gordon for Jimmie Dykes!
    Harvey Kuehn, wasn't it? And thanks for bringing up a depressing early sports memory - Who could say Rocky Colavito, from the Cleveland Indians, and not realize they belonged together? My guy, my team, as a kid-let...

Leave a comment:

• eldrick

• eldrick
    replied
    Re: Most Depressing Olympic Fact Ever

Originally posted by Cottonshirt
    Well, I found out today that the first man to be eliminated from the Olympic games, in any event, was an Englishman
    means nothing

american sports fans may have been bit more pissed off in knowing initial 16 winners of US Open golf tourney were brits !

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    or who doubled by singing the themes to both High Noon and Blazing Saddles!

Leave a comment:

• dj
    Administrator

• dj
    replied
    Obviously not Trader Frank Lane, who swapped Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn in 1960, and later that summer traded managers, giving up Joe Gordon for Jimmie Dykes!

Leave a comment:

• Cottonshirt

• Cottonshirt
    replied
    If you scroll down a little bit and read the story it says that Francis "Frank" Lane of Princeton won the very first heat of the very first event in the very first Olympic Games.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: Most Depressing Olympic Fact Ever

Originally posted by Cottonshirt
    American track fans are probably well versed in the story of Frank Lane, so I won't repeat it here.
    Even the link does not seem to clarify. What is the story?

Leave a comment:

• imaginative

• imaginative
    replied
    Seeing that Gmelin won a bronze in the 400m, I think he could over-come his
    depression;-)

Leave a comment:

• Cottonshirt

• Cottonshirt
    started a topic Most Depressing Olympic Fact Ever

Most Depressing Olympic Fact Ever

American track fans are probably well versed in the story of Frank Lane, so I won't repeat it here. I should imagine that in the land of the free and the home of the brave he is an icon, an upright pillar of society and an example spoken of in proud words in school assemblies from coast to coast.

Anyone not sure who he is can click here.

Well, I found out today that the first man to be eliminated from the Olympic games, in any event, was an Englishman.

Charles Gmelin finished 3rd in the very first heat of the very first event and was eliminated!

I think that probably sums up the last 112 years of Olympic history very nicely.

Martin
Working...
X