Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 & 200 records in the same year / month / week / meet

Maybe this was discussed at the time of the Olympics - my apologies, as I was in Montana at the time, and almost completely off the grid during the last few days of the Olympics.

How many guys have set WRs in the 100 and 200 in the same year?

The same month?

The same week?

The same meet?

Obviously, the latter is much easier if the meet is the Worlds or Olympics, spread out over almost a whole week. And in the days of tenth-second hand timing, the chances of tieing a record increase significantly. And back when most Americans ran 100 *yards*, that complicates the question as well.

But just how often has someone set 100 and 200 records anywhere nearly as close together as Bolt did? The obvious first data point is Jesse Owens in an hour, but what about more modern instances?

For an easy half-answer: Between the long lived records of Hines, Mennea,
    and Johnson, there should be no holder of both records between
    1968 and Bolt. We are then basically back in the hand-timed era and, I
    suspect, fairly many occurences (if we count ties).

Edit: Originally incorrectly used ``non-altitude'' to imply an ``altitude included''.
    Removed this word. (Non-altitude would include at least CL with the 100 in
    1981 and the 200 in 1982 (?))

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
      For an easy half-answer: Between the long lived records of Hines, Mennea,
      and Johnson, there should be no holder of both records between
      1968 and Bolt.
      Correct. Forget about same year or same meet ... nobody but Bolt has had both the 100 and 200 records in the same lifetime in the FAT era.

Comment

Yeah, the 70s era complicates things even more, when we had both hand-timing and auto timing in common use.

So, for instance, Steve Williams had record-equalers of 9.9 and 19.8 within a few weeks of each other at a time when hand-timing was still accepted.

Comment

Working...
        X