X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disrespecting JJK

:evil:

[pirate video removed by mods] [posting such is a bannable offense]

I just find this McKnight woman (who is now a celebrity chasing body builder) to be really disrespectful. . . Maybe it's just me, but read the description and notice the effort she put into the video. It's like "Oh yeah, I destroyed the WR holder...I was amazing"! :roll:

This McKnight woman also reveals (speaking of herself in third person of course :roll: ) "In 1995, Ali went to the U.S. Championships in track and field, where she found herself toe to toe with Jackie Joyner-Kersee. It's one thing to compete against Sports Illustrated for Women's Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th century, but quite another to beat her. Yet Ali lit up the track, crossing the finish line ahead of Joyner-Kersee and beating an NCAA heptathlon 200-meter record that she holds to this day. She followed that up with another win over Joyner-Kersee at the 1996 Olympic trials."

Its like claiming you BEAT Tiger Woods because you got a birdie on the seventh he only managed a par. How pathetic. JJK won both of those events overall at the age of 33/34! Annoying woman...

Comment

Originally posted by Jaack
      This McKnight woman also reveals (speaking of herself in third person of course :roll: ) "In 1995, Ali went to the U.S. Championships in track and field, where she found herself toe to toe with Jackie Joyner-Kersee. It's one thing to compete against Sports Illustrated for Women's Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th century, but quite another to beat her. Yet Ali lit up the track, crossing the finish line ahead of Joyner-Kersee and beating an NCAA heptathlon 200-meter record that she holds to this day. She followed that up with another win over Joyner-Kersee at the 1996 Olympic trials."

Its like claiming you BEAT Tiger Woods because you got a birdie on the seventh he only managed a par. How pathetic. JJK won both of those events overall at the age of 33/34! Annoying woman...
      Ali is barking up the wrong tree here, especially for someone who never broke 23.00 (her PR is 23.13). That race was quite late in Jackie's career (1995, age 33), and Jackie was never the same in that event after ripping her hamstring to shreds at the 1991 World Championships. If I'm not mistaken, Ali didn't make the World Championship team in '95. Or am I wrong?

Regardless, Jackie broke 23.00 a half-dozen times (give or take one), including her 22.30 and 22.56 in 1988, still the 2 fastest times in heptathlon history (both with legal wind), the first of which is obviously still the heptathlon WR.

I dare say that, if Jackie had trained seriously for the 200, she might have come close to or even broke 22.00. What say ye, Ali?

Comment

http://www.fitsights.com/alimcknight/home.shtml

Career Highlights

Competed in the Heptathlon at the 1996 & 2000 United States Olympic Trials
        Two-time NCAA Division I All-American
        #1 U.S. Collegiate Heptathlete, 1995
        University of Nevada-Reno, Athlete of the Year, 1995
        #2 U.S. all-time fastest heptathlon 200 meters (behind Jackie Joyner-Kersee)
        Member of 2000 U.S. Women’s World Cup Bobsled Team
        Appeared in television ads for Nike, UPS and others in promoting 1996 Olympics, as well as the movie, "Run for the Gold."

Comment

Ali couldn't carry JJK's jockstr... uh...sportsbra, but it is a nice little feather in her cap to beat JJK in a 200 and set a Hep event record, so yay for her. I doubt JJK begrudges Ali her little moment in the sun.

Comment

She did pretty good in her college days, with a 5832 in the heptathlon and still-standing school records in the 100, 100h, 200, and 400. Even placed 4th in the 97 WC trials. She should highlight those accomplishments instead of looking silly by harping on how she beat JJK in one event. Doesn't she realize that JJK got beaten in at least a couple events just about every time she competed in the heptathlon in a major meet?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer
              http://www.fitsights.com/alimcknight/home.shtml

Career Highlights

Competed in the Heptathlon at the 1996 & 2000 United States Olympic Trials
              Two-time NCAA Division I All-American
              #1 U.S. Collegiate Heptathlete, 1995
              University of Nevada-Reno, Athlete of the Year, 1995
              #2 U.S. all-time fastest heptathlon 200 meters (behind Jackie Joyner-Kersee)
              Member of 2000 U.S. Women’s World Cup Bobsled Team
              Appeared in television ads for Nike, UPS and others in promoting 1996 Olympics, as well as the movie, "Run for the Gold."
              1. Maybe, but she was a long way behind Diane Guthrie-Gresham on that day (6,527-5,832) and just as far behind Jackie as a collegian (6,520 at the 1984 trials, 6,718 in '85, soon after she graduated).

2. I hate to bust her bubble again, but #2 U.S. all-time in the heptathlon 200 happens to be Michelle Perry! Ali never ran faster than 23.13 (although I wouldn't doubt she might have been capable of 22.6x had she concentrated on the event alone), while Michelle ran 23.08 into a headwind at the 2004 Olympic Trials. In Athens she followed it up with a 22.91.

As far as I know, JJK and Perry are the only U.S. runners to have broken 23.00 in the heptathlon. I don't know about the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Ali couldn't carry JJK's jockstr... uh...sportsbra, but it is a nice little feather in her cap to beat JJK in a 200 and set a Hep event record, so yay for her. I doubt JJK begrudges Ali her little moment in the sun.
                What heptathlon event record? Jackie still owns the heptathlon world record in the 200 (22.30). Matter of fact, she had 3 heptathlon world records before this year, including a 7.29 long jump and a 12.69 hurdles, which has since been broken by Hyleas Fountain's 12.65 (2.8) at the 2008 Trials.

Comment

That 22.30 in Indianapolis was a pure delight to watch.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta

As far as I know, JJK and Perry are the only U.S. runners to have broken 23.00 in the heptathlon. I don't know about the rest of the world.
                    It is rare, but it happens. Notable examples are Klüft and Drechsler. (I strongly
                    suspect that more USanians have done it too.)

Comment

From what I can see JJK ran under 23 secs four times in a heptathlon, her fastest being that suspiciously wind-aided 22.30, the official reading being 0.0.
                      She then also ran 22.56 (1.6) in Seoul, and has run 22.85 (1.2) , 22.95 (1.2)and 23.00 (0.3)

Anke Behmer ran 22.73 also in 88 in Gotzis with the max allowable heptathlon wind of 4.0. (adjusted it would still be sub 23, around 22.93 according to JRM's calculator) Her next best was 23.04 and she had a few runs around 23.1+

The only others I believe are Drechsler's 22.84 (-1.1 wind!) Perry's 22.91 (-0.1)Kluft's 22.98 (1.1) and Burrell's 22.92 from Edmonton, where there was no wind info. Ramona Neubert ran 23.14 and Ennis has run 23.15 so far in her career.

Comment

deleted

Comment

Someone above said something about her 22.30 being suspect of being wind aided. I had never heard that. In and of itself, what's so unusual abour having 0.0 wind ? Happens all the time. It's called a windless day. Admittedly, I have no recollection of other wind readings that same day.

Comment

I have never heard this either; however, this was the 10.49 trials, so a
                            suspicion is natural. Notably, her 22.56 had a 1.6m/s tailwind accoring to
                            .http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists ... etail.html

Comment

Fortunately, there's a very simple test available when is worried about the wind. Take a look at what everybody else in the race did. If there are PRs galore (as there were behind the 10.49) then you've got the start of a case. If there's not, you need to rely on the fact that this was part of a WR hept in which JJK was at/near PR levels in all the events.

Note also that she ran something like 2 seconds faster than anybody else in the field (although without knowing PRs of all concerned, don't know how relevant that is.).

Finally, I would note that in general there is no questioning of the Indy wind readings outside the women's 100.

It is no generally accepted (even though Swisstiming won't fess up in public) that the gauge in question needed to have some running time to get it properly "warmed up"; the bad women's 100s were the first races of the day; the hept 200s came at the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X