Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marlies Gohr and Evelyn Ashford

thanks PJ:

one was tall & had that awful,wavy perm reminiscent of heike & the other girl was shorter & chest-forward reminiscent of koch

actually did ashford ever race over a 100 against these girls? i can't remember any such races

Comment

Ashford may be ahead of Gohr on head-to-heads, but the German was at the very top for a longer time. If you look at TFN's world rankings, Gohr was no. 1 at 100 6 times, Ashford only 4 times (each was ranked 13 times in the top 10). The thing about Ashford was that her great seasons were interspersed with poor ones (some due to injuries, some perhaps to other reasons), while Gohr was great for a decade year in, year out.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>thanks PJ:

one was tall & had that awful,wavy perm reminiscent of heike &
        >the other girl was shorter & chest-forward reminiscent of koch

actually did
        >ashford ever race over a 100 against these girls? i can't remember any such
        >races

Gladisch had the chest-forward style of Koch (both were trained by Wolfgang Meier), but her stride can be described as "awful" with her rageous leg and arm movements. Auerswald and Gladisch were both 1.68m tall, Auerswald had a higher frequency than Gladisch.

From the top of my head, Ashford met Drechsler in Mosvka GWG'86, Ashford winning (10.91 for both) and in Seoul OG'88 (Ashford 10.83 vs HD 10.85).
        Koch met Ashford in USA vs GDR match in Los Angeles'83, result was:
        1. Göhr 11.39, 2. Ashford 11.53, 3. Koch 11.54, 4. Williams 11.27 against -2.87 wind. Ashford had an horrible race then, overstriding in spit eof the wind, and just missing to fall with some 20m to go. Koch and Ashford met each other again in Helsinki WCh'83, but unfortunately she injured herself.

Powell:
        Göhr and Ashford had many injuries during their career. Ashford has 3 big "blanks" in her career: in 1980, she get injured after learning boycott, in 1985 she was pregnant, in 1987 she was injured.
        Göhr had various injuries, especially hamstrings, she had surgeries in 1981, but things get very complicated from 1985 to the end of her career.
        An other factor is that medical cares for injuries were more sophisticated in GDR than in USA in this area.

Comment

Williams 11.57 sorry for the typo.

Comment

Powell:
            Göhr and Ashford had many injuries during
            >their career. Ashford has 3 big "blanks" in her career: in 1980, she get
            >injured after learning boycott, in 1985 she was pregnant, in 1987 she was
            >injured.
            Göhr had various injuries, especially hamstrings, she had surgeries
            >in 1981, but things get very complicated from 1985 to the end of her
            >career.
            An other factor is that medical cares for injuries were more
            >sophisticated in GDR than in USA in this area.

That may well be true, but Gohr's injuries didn't stop her being ranked in the world's top 2 for 9 years in a row !!! (1977-1985). If you look at Ashford's career in the same period, she was unranked in 1977 (after being #8 a year earlier), 1980 and 1985 (as well as in 1987). Gohr never had a 'lost' season, as she was ranked in the world's top 10 every year from 1976 to 1988 (although her last two seasons were heavily affected by injuries).
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Gohr was forced to run in Rome '87, and despite the 10.89 in 1988, never truly recovered from her injuries. It was sad to see her run so moderately in Seoul.

Comment

Rob,

Do you have any more information about the "Soviet Scandal"? I thought there was even something funny about the lane draws - in the relays the GDR teams were all assigned outside lanes, well away from the Soviets, eg Gohr had lane 8 in the 100 well away from Kondratyeva, Wockel had lane 1 in the 200 with Bochina on the outside etc. Even in the men's 100, Allan Wells, who may or may not be your brother, was stuck out in lane 8 whilst the leading Soviet Aksinin and the Cuban Leonard were in the inside. I wondered whether this was an attempt to secure a Communist win of any nature combined with the realisation that it would take more than rigged lane draws and block slippage to enable the Soviets to win...

I also found it a bit sad that most of those Soviet stars in Moscow performed out of their skin there, but failed to repeat that form ever again, eg Bochina, Komissova, Markin, virtually all their throwers. It seemed as if longlasting careers were sacrificed for the sake of the glory of success in Moscow.

Rog

Comment

One point that has been missed here in the whole Gohr/Ashford debate is that Marlies Gohr was the first woman to run 100m in under 11 seconds with electrical timing - that is a barrier-breaking achievement that surely will not be exceeded, since I don't see any women breaking 10 seconds.

Also she was undisputed world number one for two years before Ashford's sudden improvement in 1979. Indeed up to that point her greatest threat was the UK's Sonia Lannaman, whose career was effectively blighted by persistent injury. Had she had consistently good health I think it's possible Sonia could have been right up with Gohr and Ashford at the forefront of sprinting in the late 70s/early 80s.

Comment

before Ashford's sudden improvement
                    >in 1979.

Err...

how about gohr's "sudden improvement" to 10.88 ???

Comment

"Incidentally, Christine Lathan's 'injury' in the closing stages of the third leg of the 4x400m gave the race (and the WR) to the Soviets. This was the final straw..."

- Rob, I may be reading too much into your contribution, but is there any significance behind the manner in which you emphasise the word 'injury' in the above sentence?

Rog

PS The Soviets may have won but they were still a little short of breaking the GDR's world record - 3:19.23 v 3:20.12.

Comment

Comment

">>Rog

Hello Rog...
                          I mean, Andrea...
                          I mean, Steve25...
                          I mean,
                          >Andrea_T...
                          I mean, Becky..."

...What are you on about?

Comment

Besides Gwen Torrence and the Kersee training crew I can't think of another female feud in track like that,they literally hated each other, the cat fight could have started on the cinders......

Comment

Don't forget about Ian Campbell (AUS) being robbed of the TJ gold in 1980!!!

Kurt

Comment

>Don't forget about Ian Campbell (AUS) being robbed of the TJ gold in
                                >1980!!!

d'oliveira was the one who got robbed !

Comment

Working...
                                X