• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marlies Gohr and Evelyn Ashford

Comment

<<of relevance to this topic is Footnote 3, at the bottom of the page>>

"During the 1975 European Junior Championships in Athens, Greece, the 17-year-old rising 100-m sprint star, Marlies Oelsner, later known as Marlies Göhr, a world-record holder and Olympic gold medal winner, tested positive for androgenic steroids but the result was not published by the European Association."

Thanks Eldrick for pointing out what everyone else has either ignored or not bothered to read. Since Ashford never failed a drug test, this whole discussion takes on another dimension, although doubtless it will not matter to some people. At least there is no proof that Ashford used drugs, and therefore we may be comparing 2 athletes who had a rivalry only because one of them used drugs to make a race where there would otherwise have been nothing but a sound trouncing every time they met.

Comment

The only defense for Gohr is that she was forced to take the steroids, and any western country athelete willing takes performance enhancing drugs.

Comment

><<of relevance to this topic is Footnote 3, at the bottom of the
          >page>>

"During the 1975 European Junior Championships in Athens, Greece,
          >the 17-year-old rising 100-m sprint star, Marlies Oelsner, later known as
          >Marlies Göhr, a world-record holder and Olympic gold medal winner, tested
          >positive for androgenic steroids but the result was not published by the
          >European Association."

Thanks Eldrick for pointing out what everyone else
          >has either ignored or not bothered to read. Since Ashford never failed a drug
          >test, this whole discussion takes on another dimension, although doubtless it
          >will not matter to some people. At least there is no proof that Ashford used
          >drugs, and therefore we may be comparing 2 athletes who had a rivalry only
          >because one of them used drugs to make a race where there would otherwise have
          >been nothing but a sound trouncing every time they met.

no need to thank me jb,rather thank an excellent poster called six-of-staves who originally posted that on the IAAF BB. i'm just reposting it.
          it's a long & very demanding article outlining the doping regimes of the DDR girls - it needs an hour or so of full concentration to make some headway in summarising it - i'll try & see if i can find the time to do it (hopefully someone might beat me to the punch !)

Comment

<The only defense for Gohr is that she was forced to take the steroids>

...and she and the others were kicking and screaming in protest. Oh, p'lease!
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
            X