Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Boston decathlon potential

I know we have a thread about hypothetical decathletes who never realy pursued it, (and Boston's PB's came up), but I read this in "African-American Sports Greats: A Biographical Dictionary" (ed. by David L. Porter):

The versatile 6'1"1/2 inch 166-pounder...earned six first places in one quadrangular college meet and five blue ribbons at the NAIA championships in June, 1961. His performances included a 9.7 100-yard dash, 6-foot-9 inch high jump, 13.7 second 120-yard high hurdle, 13-foot 6 pole vault, 200-foot javelin throw, and 125-foot discus throw...

Not bad for a spindly cat who didn't work much at throwing events.

Same book says Beamon TJ'ed a national record 50'3"3/4 in HS, and PB'd at 55'8" at North Carolina A & T (Texas Western was a transfer for him, like NC A & T basksetballer and fellow New Yorker Neville Shed). Credits Beamon w/ a 9.5 100 yds.

I don't see any mention of it in the article but he was a also a pretty good long jumper.

Comment

Ralph Boston

When and where did Beamon TJ 55' 8?

Comment

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... umel+bubka

Comment

Ralph Boston

I have these marks for Boston, some of which are practice marks, to be sure:
          9.7 (100 YDS), 10.5 (100 METERS), 13.7 (120 YD HH), 6' 9" (HJ), 27' 5" (LJ), 52' 1 1/2" (TJ), 13' 9" (PV), 41' 9" (SP), 125' 0" (DT) and 210" 0" (JT). According to Chuck Coker, sometime in '62, Boston cleared 7' 0". Uniquely, I believe, for a long jumper, Boston was also world ranked twice in the high hurdles, 5th in '61 and 10th in '63. He claimed the highs were his favorite event and ran 5.6 (45 YD), 6.1 (50 YD), 6.9 (60 YD) and 8.2 (70 YD) indoors as well as winning the '65 AAU indoor champs at 60 yds. His 13' 9" vault was done with a steel pole. Quite an athlete who, come May 9 of next year, will turn 70.

Comment

Wow, great topic during these slow times! I used to see Mr. Boston at Tom Black Track at Tennessee back when he worked in Knoxville and was a volunteer assistant for the Volunteers.

Comment

Yeah, Boston cleared 7-0 in the same meet that Mr. Cunningham broke 4:00 and Wilt Chamberlain ran sub-50.

Comment

I had no idea how talented Boston was, that jav toss is otherworldly!!
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Ralph Boston

Boston's 7' 0" was done in PRACTICE in '62, according to Chuck Coker. Did I not say that some of the marks were practice marks? What, Boston wasn't capable of jumping seven feet? VERY unbecoming and UNBELIEVABLY ignorant from someone of your stature, gh! You've either got something against Ralph Boston or me. Which is it? I'm all ears - and eyes.

Comment

He also thinks Koch is the greatest female runner of all-time even though she was..I mean...she was likely :-) doped to the gills.

Comment

bye!

Comment

Re: Ralph Boston

Originally posted by Bauchwalzer
                        Boston's 7' 0" was done in PRACTICE in '62, according to Chuck Coker. Did I not say that some of the marks were practice marks? What, Boston wasn't capable of jumping seven feet? VERY unbecoming and UNBELIEVABLY ignorant from someone of your stature, gh! You've either got something against Ralph Boston or me. Which is it? I'm all ears - and eyes.
                        Blame your sentence structure, not me (and my apologies if I'm wearing too big an editor's hat here):

<< I have these marks for Boston, some of which are practice marks, to be sure: 9.7 (100 YDS), 10.5 (100 METERS), 13.7 (120 YD HH), 6' 9" (HJ), 27' 5" (LJ), 52' 1 1/2" (TJ), 13' 9" (PV), 41' 9" (SP), 125' 0" (DT) and 210" 0" (JT).>>

Period, end sentence, start new sentence:

<<According to Chuck Coker, sometime in '62, Boston cleared 7' 0".>>

A separate entry from those you listed as practice marks.

Comment

Ralph Boston Decathlon Potential

Since I wrote "according to Chuck Coker", since you are as familiar with Coker as I am and since you and I both know Boston didn't clear seven feet in a meet, obviously I was referring to a practice mark.

Comment

Working...
                          X