Charlie Greene not well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Greene not well

apparently in the hospital, could be quite serious.

People forget...

1964 Nationals

1. Bob Hayes 10.3
    2. Charles Greene 10.4
    3. Bernie Rivers 10.5
    4. Gerald Ashworth 10.6
    5. Paul Drayton 10.6
    6. Mel Pender 10.6

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
      People forget...

1964 Nationals

1. Bob Hayes 10.3
      2. Charles Greene 10.4
      3. Bernie Rivers 10.5
      4. Gerald Ashworth 10.6
      5. Paul Drayton 10.6
      6. Mel Pender 10.6
      All the above was at the AAU at Rutgers in New Brunswick, NJ. A scant week later they lined up again at Randalls Island in NYC in the OT Semis, needing top 6 to go to the FOT. Hayes, who suffered a slight pull at the finish of the AAU, was given a pass to the FOT, and Greene was blasting until 90 yards when he pulled, badly. Even so he staggered across in 3rd. Trent Jackson and Gerry Ashworth got 1-2. Pretty much the end for Greene that year although he did manage a 6th at the FOT in LA.

I was there for that SFOT meet. Hard to believe it was 44 years ago !

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        Originally posted by Texas
        People forget...

1964 Nationals

1. Bob Hayes 10.3
        2. Charles Greene 10.4
        3. Bernie Rivers 10.5
        4. Gerald Ashworth 10.6
        5. Paul Drayton 10.6
        6. Mel Pender 10.6
        All the above was at the AAU at Rutgers in New Brunswick, NJ. A scant week later they lined up again at Randalls Island in NYC in the OT Semis, needing top 6 to go to the FOT. Hayes, who suffered a slight pull at the finish of the AAU, was given a pass to the FOT, and Greene was blasting until 90 yards when he pulled, badly. Even so he staggered across in 3rd. Trent Jackson and Gerry Ashworth got 1-2. Pretty much the end for Greene that year although he did manage a 6th at the FOT in LA.

I was there for that SFOT meet. Hard to believe it was 44 years ago !
        dukehjsteve - I was there too! I don't remember seeing you though.

Comment

I was there and I ddn't see either of you.

Comment

Oh, I saw BOTH of you... I see ALL.

Comment

I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.

But back to Charlie Greene. A wonderful person who's had some rough times. All the best, Charlie!

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.(/quote)

But dj, how happy were you when the season ended ?! As I recall the Phillies had a bit of a problem coming down the stretch....Go Cardinals ! First pennant in 18 years !

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                  I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.(/quote)

But dj, how happy were you when the season ended ?! As I recall the Phillies had a bit of a problem coming down the stretch....Go Cardinals ! First pennant in 18 years !
                  Yeah, well. You don't think there's a reason I stopped playing baseball (aside from the inability to hit a good curve?!)

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                    I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.

But back to Charlie Greene. A wonderful person who's had some rough times. All the best, Charlie!
                    Those '64 Phillies' collapse was even worse than the '69 Cubbies!

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                      Originally posted by dj

Yup, scarred for life. But no collapse beats the '07 Mets

Comment

I think Greene was the first cat I saw run with shades on. I know Ronnie Ray Smith and Tommie Smith did but they came later.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                          Originally posted by Conor Dary
                          Originally posted by dj

Yup, scarred for life. But no collapse beats the '07 Mets
                          The '51 Dodgers were pretty bad, too.

Comment

Not only was I not there, and therefore didn't see any of you (nor could not have done for another 12 years as I didn't get to a US meet till '76), I have never seen a phot of the SFOT 100. If anyone does have a shot of the race where Greene was headed to a 10.0w until he crashed, could they let me know?

Comment

But what does that have to do with baseball?

Comment

Working...
                              X