Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulthefan
    replied
    our prayers go up for Charlie and the Greene family. Charlie served in the U.S. Army. I wonder sometimes what role the great american Mel Pender had in Charlie's life and vice versa. Oh that track and field could have great men of service again.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    All the fine pensions and hospitals in the world can easily be trumped by medical conditions.
    Of course, but at least he has medical care unlike plenty of other former athletes so he has a shot at getting better.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    All the fine pensions and hospitals in the world can easily be trumped by medical conditions.

Leave a comment:

• lmb
    replied
    Charlie Green has had rough times?? He was a career Army man and was in charge of some non-profit. With his Army pension and care from the VA he might turn out all right (When I was in the Army he was coach on the Army team)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Not sure you ever did.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    I no longer look that good.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    OUCH !!!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    I was there and I ddn't see either of you.
    Actually I have photographic proof that all 3 of you were there and met:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    But what does that have to do with baseball?

Leave a comment:

• rhymans
    replied
    Not only was I not there, and therefore didn't see any of you (nor could not have done for another 12 years as I didn't get to a US meet till '76), I have never seen a phot of the SFOT 100. If anyone does have a shot of the race where Greene was headed to a 10.0w until he crashed, could they let me know?

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Oh, I saw BOTH of you... I see ALL.
    I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.

But back to Charlie Greene. A wonderful person who's had some rough times. All the best, Charlie!
    Those '64 Phillies' collapse was even worse than the '69 Cubbies!
    Yup, scarred for life. But no collapse beats the '07 Mets
    The '51 Dodgers were pretty bad, too.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    I think Greene was the first cat I saw run with shades on. I know Ronnie Ray Smith and Tommie Smith did but they came later.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Originally posted by dj
    I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.

But back to Charlie Greene. A wonderful person who's had some rough times. All the best, Charlie!
    Yup, scarred for life. But no collapse beats the '07 Mets

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by dj

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    I didn't see any of you, nor miss you. The Phillies were getting ready to move into first place, and I couldn't have been happier.(/quote)

But dj, how happy were you when the season ended ?! As I recall the Phillies had a bit of a problem coming down the stretch....Go Cardinals ! First pennant in 18 years !
    Yeah, well. You don't think there's a reason I stopped playing baseball (aside from the inability to hit a good curve?!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X