Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Al Hall

I am sorry to inform the track and field family, in particular the hammer throwing community, that my father, Albert "Al" Hall, passed away late Thursday evening in Tonopah Nevada after an extended battle with Alzheimer's. He was 74. My father competed in the 1956, 1960, 1964, and 1968 Olympics. He also was a three-time Pan-American Games hammer throw champion. Al was also a member of the first USA track teams to compete in Russia (late 1950s) and China (1974). He also had numerous national championships in both the hammer and 35 pound weight. During his years of competition, he made many friends throughout the world and he treasured their friendship. Of all the medals and trophies he got, I think he was most proud of the "Goodwill Ambassador" statue he received from the Brazilian athletes at the Sao Paulo Pan American Games. He thrived on the camaraderie of competition. I am sure that right now, he is enjoying a never-ending "throwing all-around" with his great friends like Al Oerter and Bob Backus. He leaves his wife of 50 years, Lorraine (who broke the gender barrier for road running competition in Massachusetts in the 1960s), and his son (me) Shawn. Burial will be in the Fern Hill Cemetery in his hometown of Hanson MA, where he and Al Oerter had many a training session out in the hay field at the Hall homestead during the 1950s. Condolences can be sent to the family at Box 1192, Tonopah NV 89049.

Shawn Hall
    Retired triple jumper and paying the price! Son of Al Hall

I am sorry to hear this news. I was lucky enough to see Al Hall compete many times over the years. He was a great man. My best to your family.

Comment

Thanks for this sad posting. I'm an old NYAC guy myself.

Comment

For those interested, The Boston Globe published a very nice story about Al Hall in the October 17th edition.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_spor ... om_hanson/

Comment

Al Hall, RIp

I have just learned about the passing of Al Hall and it saddened me greatly. I remember Al as a competitor and as a friend. He and I were in many competitions together and although I can number the times I finished in front of him on the fingers of one hand, I will always remember his competitiveness as an inspiration for me to go for it a lot harder. He went all out every time and I loved the fire he put into his efforts. Just the fact that he was there made me go all out. On top of that, he was just a great guy, willing to share what he knew about throwing, and inviting me to train with him. He was a one in a million guy and I will miss him.

Comment

The posting from above has got to be Tom Pagani, right ?

Comment

Al Hall, RIp

Yep

Comment

For those interested, the family will be hosting a memorial service and celebration of life for my dad, Al Hall, at the Fern Hill Cemetery in Hanson, Massachusetts at 11 a.m. on July 4th. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosttowner
                  For those interested, the family will be hosting a memorial service and celebration of life for my dad, Al Hall, at the Fern Hill Cemetery in Hanson, Massachusetts at 11 a.m. on July 4th. Thank you.
                  My late, but sincere condolences. I remember your father well, still from the fifties.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Was Al the person a few years ago who almost single-handedly got the USATF Junior Olympics to add the hammer throw as an event?

My thoughts and prayers to his family. A great athlete. R.I.P.

Comment

Rest in Peace. Fantastic athlete.
                      "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Working...
                      X