Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juha Väätäinen over Viren in '72?

A healthy Juha beats Viren in 1972 Oly? in 5/10k? I've seen Väätäinen's kick in 71 Euro champs winning in (much) slower races than '72 Oly times and he looks next to unbeatable on last lap. Would he be equal to the challenge and faster pace.

I think not - though his healthy presence would certainly have made both races much more interesting. Many more people are capable of killing last laps off a relatively slow tempo than off a (near-)WR tempo - especially with someone else already starting kicking with 600m to go, like Virén did in the 10000, or with a crazy last mile, like in the 5000.

Comment

Re: Juha Väätäinen over Viren in '72?

Originally posted by no one
      A healthy Juha beats Viren in 1972 Oly? in 5/10k? I've seen Väätäinen's kick in 71 Euro champs winning in (much) slower races than '72 Oly times and he looks next to unbeatable on last lap. Would he be equal to the challenge and faster pace.
      Was the 10K in Helsinki (?) in 1971 that much slower than the 72 Olympics? I seem to recall a winning time of about 27:53 with a last lap by both Juha and Haase well below 60 seconds. A fit Juha in 1972, and no fall by Gammoudi, would have made the Munich 10 K even more interesting. (It was in any case, one of the most exciting races to watch (on TV)).

Comment

yes - helsinki I think the last lap was ~52 - its just amazing to watch it . They took off literally like they were running anchor in a 4x4. 10k - took off @ 300m to go and places were not decided until 50-60yds to go when Juha looked over his shoulder and found even another gear. ~ 27:52.75

5k was 3 man race until final straight when Juha pulled away. The video I saw had Lassee Viren watching the video and smiling ... in appreciation I'm thinking. 13:32.48.

Very entertaining to watch. what a sport

Comment

Vaatainen ran the final lap in 53.8 secs. (According to the "Dave Bedford Story.") His time was 27:52.8. Vaatainen's final lap in the Helsinki 5,000 was 52.8. He likely would have been a gold medal contender in either race had he not developed an inguinal hernia.

Comment

Originally posted by no one
            yes - helsinki I think the last lap was ~52 - its just amazing to watch it . They took off literally like they were running anchor in a 4x4. 10k - took off @ 300m to go and places were not decided until 50-60yds to go when Juha looked over his shoulder and found even another gear. ~ 27:52.75

5k was 3 man race until final straight when Juha pulled away. The video I saw had Lassee Viren watching the video and smiling ... in appreciation I'm thinking. 13:32.48.

Very entertaining to watch. what a sport
            The Brit take on the 10K race was very interesting. Even if Bedford had jumped into the race (fresh) with one lap to go, he would have lost! His best 400 m time must have been over 53 sec.

Comment

I read somewhere that Bedford's 400 PR was 56.

Comment

Originally posted by Suso2
                !!! If so, it must be because he never bothered to run a flat out 400. It does not seem possible he could be so slow?

Comment

Originally posted by Suso2
                  that looks spot-on

trying :

http://www.jundo.co.uk/

& suggesting at his peak in his perfect races he was a maybe 13'15 / 27'25 guy ->

~ 55.6 , 1'55.6 , 3'44.2 , 7'44.9

does anyone know his 1500/3k pbs ?

Comment

Working...
                  X