Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greatest HS footballer of all time

Boy there are so many to choose from.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

This is not doable. Unlike T&F, which has some objective standards, there are none here. I'm going with Ken Hall from Sugar Land that, who still holds many rushing records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Ha ... all_player)

Comment

I second Marlow.

Sugarland Express is in a statistical category all by himself. Nevermind that it was a long tme ago or the competition might have been weak. The numbers are mind-boggling no matter what the circumstances. What a treat it would have been to have seen some of those games!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        This is not doable. Unlike T&F, which has some objective standards, there are none here. I'm going with Ken Hall from Sugar Land that, who still holds many rushing records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Ha ... all_player)
        I third Marlow.

Comment

As a Texan, I'm glad to singthe exploits of Hall, but memory tells me that Herschel Walker was good enough to go pro as a freshman in college. Surely he was a high school titan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgehog
            As a Texan, I'm glad to singthe exploits of Hall, but memory tells me that Herschel Walker was good enough to go pro as a freshman in college. Surely he was a high school titan.
            That's news to Georgia Bulldog fans. As a power back (albeit with great speed), there's little chance he would have survived as a 19-year-old in the NFL. A corner mighta coulda, maybe a receiver, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              That's news to Georgia Bulldog fans. As a power back (albeit with great speed), there's little chance he would have survived as a 19-year-old in the NFL. A corner mighta coulda, maybe a receiver, but that's about it.
              Many similarities between Walker and Hall, who also was a big back and rumored to have been able to stay within 5 yards of Morrow over 100y (maybe on a bad day for Morrow I guess but), that is not shabby. Hall's biggest mistake was being in HS within 200miles of Bear Bryant who like too many coaches of that era, viewed actual talent as unnecessary luggage in the building of a "team". A team in the Bear's mind in the 50s was of course only perfected through sadistic dirt eating rituals that ensured that the only impenetrable at the end of practice was the coaching staff's egos. The Bear was great, but the era was the dark ages in terms of methods. Methods that worked for building U.S Marines were not without modification necessarily suited to building athletic teams.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

There was a Duke sports med guy named Frank Bassett, who sadly died last year. Frank played football at Kentucky under Bear Bryant, before he went to Texas A&M. His quote on Bryant - "Meanest man I ever met." He had nothing good to say about him and that was rare for him.

Comment

I'll venture that the best high school footballer I ever SAW was Mickey Cureton, who averaged 8.7 yds per carry for his whole high school career. A close second was Napoleon Kaufmann.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                    Napoleon Kaufmann.
                    .. left alot of tears in Hurricane alley.

Comment

Best Schoolboy Gridders

Marcus Allen, SD- Lincoln

Hershcel Walker, Wrightsville

Charles "Bubba" Smith, Beaumont Charlton-Pollard

Steve Worster, Bridge City, TX

Ken McAfee, Brockton, Mass.

Bobby Bell, Shelby, N.C.

Ken Hall, Sugarland

Henry Carr, Detroit Southwestern

Marc Herrman, Indianapolis North Central

Dave Butz, Grove Park, IL.