• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackie Robinson

Cool photo of the legend.

[/img]

Amazing fellow..and UCLA 1-2-3.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Now what I am waiting for is for someone to be able to tell us who the other guys are, and the distances jumped !

Comment

1940 NCAA results give you some clues

(Minneapolis, June 22)
        (heavy rain; held indoors)
        1. Jackie Robinson (UCLA) Sr 24‑10¼
        2. Billy Brown (LSU) Jr 24‑¾
        3. Welles Hodgson (Minnesota) Jr-Sr 23‑11¼
        4. Pat Turner (UCLA) Sr 23‑8
        5. Bill Lacefield (UCLA) Jr 22‑8¼
        6. Walter Arrington (Michigan St) Jr 22‑7
        (7.57, 7.33, 7.29, 7.21, 6.91, 6.88)

Comment

And in the PCC (now roughly equivalent to Pac-10) meet shown above, Robinson's winning jump was 25-0. I couldn't find any other marks for the placers.

Comment

amazing how much bigger he got as a pro baseball player.
            ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

What was it, seven years later when JR broke went up to the Dodgers' big league team? He'd been in the army and bulked up by then, no longer a four sports guy...

Comment

PCC Results, Los Angeles (Coliseum), 5/25/1940:

1, Jackie Robinson (UCLA) 25-0 MR (old MR 24-10 George Boone [USC] '36; this was Robinson's first meet of the year)
                2, Pat Turner (UCLA) 24-4 1/2 or 4 3/4, sources vary)
                3, Bill Lacefield (UCLA) 23-11
                4, Mel Bleeker (USC) 23-7 3/4
                5. Roy Brown (Stan) 23-2 1/4

Comment

...and all three of those Bruin marks would have been god enough to score at last year's Pac-10 meet.

Comment

I'll let the stat freaks do the analysis/research if they wish, but my 6th sense tells me the Long Jump, nee Broad Jump, has improved the least since pre-WW II, of all events, except maybe the 100, (but that's hard to compare due to h and e timing) That would be at the top level, then at 10th, 25th, and 50th, be it all-time lists or annual lists. And without the advent of tartan runways it would be much narrower.

Reason ? It's a "natural" event, with the least technological/coaching improvements possible. And as to tartan vs. cinders, the tartan helped the 3J( nee Hop-Step-Jump ! ) immeasurably more than it helped the LJ/BJ, for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                      Reason ? It's a "natural" event, with the least technological/coaching improvements possible. And as to tartan vs. cinders, the tartan helped the 3J( nee Hop-Step-Jump ! ) immeasurably more than it helped the LJ/BJ, for obvious reasons.
                      not too sure about that

ole timers say that a synthetic track was 1s quicker than dirt

assume they were ~ 50s guys, that's 1/50 or 2% quicker

for any jumps, you'd get 2% better speed & probably 2% better "take-off" from the harder track ( better potential energy return ), giving ~ 1.02^2 = 1.04 improvement

i'd suggest dirt-track performances of following woud be on synthetic :

8.00m = 8.32m

17.00m = 17.68m

2.20m = 2.29m

looking at wr progression here :

http://www.athletix.org/

szmidt did 17.03 in '60 - i'd guestimate he'd have been a 17.70 guy just transferred to a synthetic track

ralph did 8.35 in '65 - have to say he may have been a 8.70 guy just off that

brumel's 2.28 in '63 may have been 2.37m

( neither of this assumes any new training, nutrition, etc, just a simple change of surface )

Comment

2 points re the above:

1. Are we sure Boston's 1965 mark was on a cinder runway ? Better stuff was getting pretty popular by then

2. In the 3J, you get to BOUNCE twice ( hop, step) on that rubber runway rather than crunch on cinders ! That's got to be huge.

Comment

Nothing scientific about it but artificial surface tracks definitely make a huge difference.
                          Personal experience: I was never a world class athlete but circa 1949-52, age 18-21, I was chasing Thane Baker on cinders running 9.7y.
                          In 1972, age 40-41 and five pounds heavier, I was still chasing Thane in Masters competion running 10.1y on tartan.
                          Gotta believe, all things being equal, I had to have slowed down more than that in twenty years.

Comment

Last week, while in Pasadena for the Breeders' Cup, I drove down Washington Boulevard. When I crossed Pepper Street, where Jackie Robinson lived, I got goosebumps.
                            "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

About a year ago, I was at a concert and found myself standing five feet away from Rachel Robinson, Jackie's widow. Yes, I recognized her. Yes, I got goose bumps.

Comment

Working...
                              X