Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74 Years Ago Today

This athlete was born in New York City some 74 years ago today (Tuesday). He actually started out as a boxer in high school, but he went on to make the U.S. Olympic team in track and field. In college he was second place in the NCAA championships two consecutive years. Both times he was beaten by runners from the University of Oregon. After college he moved out of state to train for the Olympic Games. He went on to break several American records. He won the Sullivan Award 46 years ago and helped start a "running revolution" in the U.S. Who is our birthday athlete for October 28?

Jim Beatty??... (he had a great year in '62, but did he get Sullivan Award..?)

Comment

Yes, he did.

Comment

Rats ! I knew this one, but I was beaten to it ! The 1962 ( I can subtract) part gave it away.

Did not know the NYC part... I know he was a Charlotte native in HS.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
          Native? He was born in either NYC or Charlotte. You can't switch your native city.

Comment

We know how "everyone" ran about 4:30 in high school.

So did Jim Beatty (Charlotte Central HS): 4:31.9 to win the Carolina state meet in 1953.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Native? He was born in either NYC or Charlotte. You can't switch your native city.
              You are correct. I did indeed misuse the word "native. " How about "eventual hometown" instead ? That's what I was thinking anyway.

Comment

Nice job, bf. Yes, yesterday was Jim Beatty's 74th birthday and yes, he was born in New York, but spent much of his time in Charlotte where he lives today. By the way, he still follows track and field, but no longer runs.
                Also, I never broke five minutes for the mile in high school.

Comment

Beatty was the speaker at the dedication of the new track and field complex at Lenoir-Rhyne University (Hickory, NC) on Oct. 4. The link below leads to a photo gallery of the event:

http://www.lrbears.com/images/MoretzAth ... /index.htm

Image No. 29 includes, left to right: myself (Alan Sigmon--LR record holder in the mile), Beatty, Irwin Belk (benefactor of track programs, for whom so many tracks, including the new LR track, are named), LR track coach Jason Stewart, and LR athletic director Neill McGeachy (who was, incidentally, head basketball coach at Duke 1973-74).

Comment

re the above Al, what was your time ? Don't be shy/modest, tell us, and congrats !!

Comment

re the above Al, what was your time ? Don't be shy/modest, tell us, and congrats !!
                      More importantly, Alan, what was your time for 2,000 metres?

Bill

Comment

I met Beatty at the Duke track in 1963 or 1964, when he ran there a few times with Cary Weisiger. Seemed like a good guy.

Comment

jim beatty

I briefly ran with the Santa Clara Valley Youth Village and the LATC in the early 1960's Beatty was the main man although there was a lot of talent. Jim was friendly , had no ego and was very encouraging to those of us who were underlings. He wasn't a good guy; he was a better guy.

Comment

There was a lot of talent on the Los Angeles Track Club in the early 1960's. I think that group did a lot to inspire young American runners in the 1960's.

Comment

For those who want to know, my Lenoir-Rhyne school record is a a very modest 4:34.0. (I wasn't even good enough to join the everybody-ran-4:30-in-high-school club, let alone college.)

And my 2000m best was 5:58.6 (run, incidentally, 25 years ago today).

Comment

Working...
                              X